Will a 35,5-inch fanned fret Ibanez be an upgrade for me?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Airfish, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Hi everyone.
    I own a Schecter Stiletto Studio 6-string, which has a 35 inch scale. It could handle tuning down all the way to G#, but after tuning it even lower to G (GCFAD#G#) the thickest string became too loose, too hard to tune and even harder to get the intonation right. I do not plan to tune further down, G is my absolute bottom. So really I´m just missing that half step. The strings I have on right now are Fodera steel heavy gauge, with a .135 thickest string. I have ordered a set of Daddario singles with a .145 thickest, but if even that attempt fails, I want a new bass. Dingwalls are expensive and very hard to get, here in Europe. I found a fanned fret Ibanez, in a similar price range as my Schecter, around 1000 €. But the scale of the thickest string is only half an ich longer: 35,5 inches. Do you think that extra half inch could help me achieve a solid G-tuned thickest string? Oh, and one more detail, I guess it could be important: the Schecter is a neck thru mahogany/maple/wallnut, the fan-fret Ibanez is ash with a bolt-on bubinga/something neck....
    Thank you all in advance for your tips and views!

BelowTheBenthic likes this.
  2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    If you want to go lower you have to go longer or thicker. Or both. So you're on the right track.

But why stop at .140? There are much thicker strings out there. I would want at least a .160 for that tuning, if not more.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    el_Bajo_Verde likes this.
  3. What do you mean "out there"? Can you please be more specific? I buy my strings from bassstringsonline, from that guy Jason who knows what he is selling and the thickest he could offer me was a .145 D´addario. For my Schecter. Is there any other worldwide shipping eshop that could get me thicker stuff?

4. +1. The extra .5" won't do much. You'll want go with a 37" multiscale like Dingwall, ESP, or even the Brice. I'd also go much thicker to get that low. I use a .145 for my B and a still have .158 from Kalium for 5's that's a half step down.

Referencing a low G and using the Kalium tension chart as an example:
    A "standard" .105 string (technically .106 from Kalium) on a 35" scale tuned to normal E has 45.79lbs of tension.
    At 35" scale a .145 would give 28.48lbs of tension
    At 35" scale a .174 would give 41.64lbs of tension
    At 35.5" scale a .174 would give 42.83lbs of tension
    At 37" scale a .174 would give 46.53lbs of tension
    At 37" scale a .166 would give 43.2lbs of tension

For the 35 and 35.5 scales jumping up to their next size (.182) would starting moving towards the 50lbs mark, which is quite high.

So IMHO/IME a .174 (or thereabouts) would be what you need of a 35" or 35.5" scale (makes very little difference.) A .166 is what I'd grab if I had a 37" multi scale.

5. OK, so I will forget about the +0,5 inch scale bass.
    And since I have no green for a Dingwall or ESP (around 2K here in Europe), I will probably try my luck with the thick Kalium stuff.
    Thanks a lot for your tension calculations. And since I don´t mind if my strings are just a tiny bit looser, I came up with these gauges, based on Kalium´s calculator, for my scale and tuning: 166, 124, 094, 073, 051, 039. All of these are around 39 to 41 lbs, plus/minus....

6. Dammit, I cannot use Kalium strings.... their standard scale is too short for me and the medium scale is too long. I need a length from 37,25 to 38 inches (ball to taper) - which sucks, because their standard is 36,75 and their medium is 38,75. OK, never mind, the search goes on. Any further tips, please, for those gauges, with that string length?

7. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    i have the same bass tuned ADGCF with DR DDT's .145 for low using the heavy 50-110 for the other 4. It does that tuning fine, but would not support as low as you are wanting. so, have to go bigger.

8. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Dont waste your money for SRFF805 , highly recommand LTD B1005 SE.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  9. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

10. I already dumped the idea of buying the Ibanez. But the LTD is almost twice the price, here in Europe. So I guess I have to try everything possible with thicker strings for my existing bass and only in case they fail, I would start saving up for the LTD, maybe sell my kidney or something like that.... :cool:

11. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    You play drop tune to G#, right?

As a previous SRFF805 owner , let me share my opinion with you. I bought a SRFF805 then sold it after 3 months.
    There are 3 main reason i give it up.
    1. Unbalance tone between B/E Vs A/D/G . Even how i tweak the EQ and adjust pickups height, both low string sound still dark sounding meanwhile others three sound lack bottom, like two bass tone in one bass guitar. Went to GC and pick a display SRFF806 for test, same result , plus the C string just sound like guitar tone. Beside stock D'addario EXL 170-5 SL , i also try Payson string and DR string ( need shim some B string silk which let the string sit in nut slot ), nothing improvement.
    2. Loud pop sound appear while i push the Active/Passive switch.
    3. I have bad luck,my copy is weight close to 10lbs and have neck dive issue.

2 & 3 could be individual issue, but the first one is characteristic of this bass.

I cant imaging how the unbalance sound of this SRFF805 for drop tune . My advise is , skip the SRFF805 + time spending + money spend for different string, just go to LTD B1005 SE . The Gotoh Tuning machine, Hipshot solo bridge and True Nordy Split pickup on B1005 is worth for money.

Good luck to you.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  12. madbass6

madbass6 Inactive

Jan 13, 2009
    I do not give consent to use any of my photos ! please respect that. thank you.
    why a low G ?
    anyway, here's how you'll know & Beilieve it or not it's not rocket science ! in fact it's as easy as 1,2,3.
    1.meet the seller.
    2.try out the bass.
    3.Detune to a low G.
    if it works ,there you go misterie solved!

13. Nope, not dropped, standard, with 4th intervals: G# C# F# B E A. And wanna tune everything a further half step down. And thanks a lot for your detailed review. One more reason to forget about that Ibanez.

14. Man, this is THE post I was waiting for! A major european eshop has them in stock and they have a very friendly ordering policy and customer service in general, so if this experiment fails, return should not be a problem. Thank you and have a beer on me! :):bassist::hyper:

gebass6 and edwardthewave like this.
  15. .... 4. forget about 1, 2, 3 and welcome to Europe! :cool:

16. Anders Barfod

Anders Barfod

Jan 16, 2015
    Why a low G????

Anyone ever needing anything lower than B0 is beyond me.. Ok you could have a male singer with a darker voice and could tune down all strings a half step to Bb,, if there are many songs in the repetoire that requires riffing on open E-flat/G-flat. But lower than that... Why bother you get problems in finding a good bass that will support that low tuning.. finding strings, an amp and cab that will support that low tuning etc..

to my ears C1 is the lowest bass note needed for most music period, the low B0 just a bonus to have.. Play that low G on the E string and adjust your EQ. If you have a good amp/cab that can reproduce the low G1 fundamental (49Hz) with high sensitivity you are good to go.. Problem with a bad amp/cab is that you will only really be able to hear the first harmonic at 98Hz.

tuning darker below the B0 does not make your music "heavier"... just less professional sounding to my ears...

I will stop ranting.. I am an old

madbass6 likes this.
  17. IOA_Bassist

IOA_Bassist

Jan 28, 2014
    Essex
    I used a Ibanez BTB for years in Drop G# which was manic!

I think in the end i found having a 170. top was the only way to get the right tension so it wasn't flappy or getting lost in the mix

A lot of younger bass players just seem to thing throwing a 125. standard 5 string set on a Squire Vintage Modified Jazz will be fine... no no no my friend!

Also make sure you file out the nut properly and don't use the string.. its just deads the string and at £12 per string its no fun at all! im guilty of this but it just looks messy and it a bit poop!

18. madbass6

madbass6 Inactive

Jan 13, 2009
    I do not give consent to use any of my photos ! please respect that. thank you.
    Hey No worries You're not alone I'm sure there's more then just two of us wondering why in the world anyone would need a low G!
    OP would you please explain the logic/reason/purpose on having a low G !

19. Explain?.... Sorry.... Yo soy un gringo loco de Europa.... And Englissh not be me first langwidge.... :cool::smug:

gebass6 likes this.
  20. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    would a dingwall NG model be available in europe? the price here is right around the same as the LTD and from what I'm hearing, it is better in every way.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021