Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WILL A BART NTMB WORK WITHOUT A MID SWITCH?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by luknfur, May 14, 2004.

1. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Have yet to see a NTMB without a mid switch and I pulled one out of one and got some serious rackett. I have yet to see an NTMB without a switch and Bart NTMB diagrams all have them. I have a Bart 3 band TCT without a switch but it has the resisters on the mid pot that typically are attatched to the switches. So I assume the key factor lies in the resistors. Anybody have the lowdown?

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    since the switch is basically putting a varying capacitance in line, you should be able to just connect the two brown wires? Or is that what you tried?

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE

Yep, that's what I thought and what I did. I double checked all wiring and everthing seems good to go. I have it wired as an outboard and haven't been using it lately since getting the OBP-3 couple weeks ago. But had no problems whatever using it on a regular basis up till then. From looking at the Bart diagrams, the resistors seem pivotal. I've got a TCT sitting idle and I'm going to pull the mid pot with resistors and plug it in and see what happens. But even it that works, I was just wanting to know kind of what's going here.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Answer is yes, it will work fine by just skipping the switch and running the brown wire from the mid unit to mid pot. I just had a bad ground.

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    cool, good to know. Did you put any capacitors in line? I think the freq with no capacitors is round about 250hz, but I could be wrong.

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    No capacitors. I'm not actually running the preamp without a switch. I'm in the process of swapping for preamps and the initial question arose out of that. But one of the NTMB's I've got came with a couple of resistors on it instead of the typical capacitors with the 250, 500, 800 settings. And it's wired different.

Another wierd thing I've noticed in the process is that the NTMB with the frequency switch listed above does not seem to affect tone with the mid control between about 1/3 and mid position. Below that it's obvious and above it's abvious but in that range, selecting different freqencies doesn't seem to make any difference.