Will a Bart preamp help my Peavey sound better?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DaveCustomMade, Mar 28, 2005.

1. I have the following Peavey (as seen in http://www.geocities.com/orion_vtol/EMBE3.html).

The bass doesn't sound too bad, in fact the other guys that I play with say it sounds pretty good. However, it doesn't have a mid option.

My question is, if I were to purchase a Bartolini HR-3.4, which has volumn/volumn, Mid (push-pull frequency switch), Treble/Bass . . . . . would that give my bass a better sound than the factory electronics? My bass currently is an 18 volt setup. The Bart is a 9 volt.

I suppose a side question would be, is it a waste of money to buy the Bart preamp if I'm still using the Peavey pickups? And another side question would be, are the pickups in the Peavey Cirrus much different than mine (made mid 1990's, purchased in 1997)? Because I hear that the Cirrus sounds very good!

Thanks! :)
  2. Anyone have any input on this at all?

By the way, I believe you can go either 9 or 18 volts on that Bartolini preamp, so I'd go 18.
  3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I don't know if it'll make your peavey sound better, since I haven't played the model you show (I'd actually never heard of that model before)
    Also, Peavey can have great electronics, such as those on the Cirrus. But the Barts are some of the best after market preamps out there, and you need mids, so it's definitely a good candidate.
    You can run the barts at 18v or 9v as you note.
  4. Yes, . . MIDS. I sorely lack in mids and have to rely on the board [I run through the sound system, which IS a good system, BTW] to help out on the mids, but I know that having a mid boost would help it sound better than the mids on the board.

I would go with new Bartolini pickups as well, but as you can see from the picture, the side bumps of the original pickups makes it all but impossible to replace and not look rather bad [since Bartolini doesn't have any soaps that have side screws]. So that's why I was hoping that just a Bart preamp would be a good next step since pickups the currently in the bass sound faily good.
  5. that looks like an Axcelerator, those are great basses! If I were you, I would just try the preamp option first and see if it helps, I don't think the pickups are the problem.
  6. Thanks for the 'kudos' on the Axcelerator. :)

Yes, I like the bass quite a bit [except for it's original appearance, of course], as it has a pretty good sound. I think I'll try the preamp option.

Unless there is some sort of pedal that would be an easier option, . . . . . .you know, a mid boost pedal that would be as good as the new Bart preamp. Perhaps?. . . Perhaps not? :meh:
  7. A bump just in case someone else has some input to add. :)