will a bass with jazz pickups work for metal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cliff em all, Jun 12, 2013.

1. cliff em all

cliff em all

Jul 6, 2012
    hey this might be a stupid question but ive been interested in trying a j bass because ive only had experience with humbuckers and wanted to get a different tone. but ive been told that j pickups are to weak for metal and wont be able to cut through. is this true?

2. Idk, it works fairly well for Parkway Drive (at least I think I saw their bassist with a Jazz) and Art By Numbers' bassist uses a Jazz that really stands out

3. Projectile

Projectile

Feb 5, 2009
    A jazz bass will absolutely work for metal. Single coils will generally cut through even better than humbuckers, or split coils. That's exactly what Jazz basses are good for: cutting through the mix. Whomever told you that they are too weak for metal is a moron. There are many metal bass players who exclusively use jazz basses.

4. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    No, it will not. You will be roundly beaten about the head and neck by all in your vicinity if you try.

5. lowendmafia

lowendmafia Blue Jays! Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Phoenix, Arizona
    The only good bass for metal is a P with flats... Do you even TalkBass?

6. PazzoBasso

PazzoBasso

Jan 21, 2011
    YYZ
  7. 3star2nr

3star2nr

Jun 2, 2013
    Sorry but what tone. You can't hear any real tonal variation once your ruñig high gain on your bass.

You should play with your amp setup and also the distance of your pickups from your strings, all of that makes a difference.

The style of pickup matters little IMHO especially for metal

8. cliff em all

cliff em all

Jul 6, 2012
    ok thanks for clearing that up :D

9. soong

soong

May 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Opeth's bassist used to play a MM sig J live...

10. Fenwick

Fenwick

Dec 9, 2012
    Montreal
    Depends on what type of metal your playing. If it's heavily distorted and tuned down I don;t find a jazz works well, because they occupy much of the same frequencies. Jazz pickups generally have a scooped sound that lacks mids, just like their aforementioned guitar counterparts. In more traditional metal, where the guitars occupy more of the midrange, a jazz works well as its cuts at both the top and bottom. For a more modern (down-tuned,high gain sound) you are better off with something that has stronger mids...anything but single coils.

Yeah you can EQ anything in, but I like to start from a strong point and use EQ to color, not fix something that is lacking.

11. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Ummm Cliff's Ric was modded with Jazz pickups. Robert's basses are typically modded with Jazz pickups. So yes.

12. Jim C

Jim C Spector#496:More curves than Sophia + better sound Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    For me, it would be neck pickup only; Played plenty of rock this way.
    If the noise of 1 single coil bothers you the Dimarzio Model J humbucker is more aggressive and quiet.

13. My Fernandes Gravity 4x has both JB pickups, and it done well on metal

14. I play a Fender jazz check the Soundcloud link. Chelsea Grin's bass player uses a Fender jazz. My jazz doesn't cut thru it buries the audience in low end. I don't melt faces I pound your soul into submission. 5 string, drop A, I take any sonic space I want.

15. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    No, you can only play jazz with them. Don't do it or you will be arrested by the jazz police.

16. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Ask these blokes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Koji_Sunioj

Koji_Sunioj

Feb 16, 2013
    Satan will appear out of a hole in a ground and crucify you upside down if you do.

Nah dude, works great for metal. I play everything from Dark Tranquility to Immolation just fine on mine.

18. remainthesame

remainthesame

Sep 24, 2008
    I no longer own a jazz because I traded it in to get my BTB, however I did own a fender jazz deluxe V and I have played many other jazz basses as well. In my opinion, a jazz is a swiss army knife of sorts. It can usually achieve a good (if not great) sound regardless of genre. Some basses might work better than the jazz for certain tasks but you know with a jazz you will be able to get the job done quite well.

19. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    Quoted For Truth.

20. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Yeah, that was a pretty post. :cool: