Will a BBE sonic maximizer afect my amp's tone if bypassed?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nico3535, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Nico3535

Mar 8, 2006
    That and also i'd like to hear what people who use them think??
  2. tlwaps

Feb 13, 2006
    It shouldn't effect your sound, I had the BBE Dual MaxCom which had a Sonic Maximizer on it and when I would bypass it and it would not effect my tone. I didn't like the sonic maximizer because it gave my sound way to much low end, my sound already has a tone of low end in it and when the sonic maximizer was enabled it just overloaded the lows which caused everything to distort and fart. The way I had my rig eq'd is a lot of lows, no mids and very little highs; gives me the sound I want. Try one out and if you don't like it don't buy it.
  3. Vorak

Dec 6, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I picked up a BBE 362 about two weeks ago and so far I love it. I've heard that either people love them or hate them so its really up to you to decide what you think. If you can, go to a shop and ask to plug one in and see how you like it.
  4. IT WILL AFFECT YOUR TONE IF IT IS BYPASSED!!!! This is because the BBE bypass is not a true bypass. I love the sound a BBE gives a rig, but when you bypass, it is actually a worse sound than the bypass. I did an A/B recording of it's bypass and then without it in the chain at all. Startling difference. It's almost like they want to say "See how much better it is than when it is bypassed?" A little misleading. I also didn't like what it was doing to my harmonics so I got rid of it.
  5. greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I neither hate them or love them - I've had several of the various rack models. Good tool for some jobs on PA or mixing older analog stuff. But I've never gained anything using them with my bass rigs that justified the extra weight and rack space.

But for someone who has serious mud even when not causing it by their own EQing, one may help.
  6. greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    I don't think the rack units I had had a problem with bypass. Are you talking a stompbox here?
  7. andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    i always had the sonic maximier in my BMax turned on when i had it. i dont think i ever turned it off and kept it off.
  8. The one I had was a 1/2 rack unit. Maybe 262?
  9. v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    +1 on the bypass problem!

when i put mine (482i) in the effects loop of my 400+, the active and bypassed sounds were night and day, so i thought i had found a permament part of my rack. eventually i sold the mesa and picked up a demeter 201s which can have the effects loop completely switched out; the bbe's bypass and the preamp with the loop cut were quite different.
    that said, it CAN make a good difference depending on the gear its supporting, but i too quit using it almost altogether due to the amount of harmonics it was taking out of my sound.
  10. At least I don't feel like I was crazy now! It really squashed my harmonics.
  11. Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Sonic Max's seem to make up ok cabs sound much better. I have a peavey/avatar stack and it really brought the life out of them.
  12. greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Another thing to realize is that like any enhancement effect, a little goes a long ways. Make the settings too high and you end up degrading the signal.
  13. I believe the smaller 1/2 rack type were meant for things like
    home stereo use and such. I have one of these hooked up to
    my "home theater" system and it makes a big difference.

I use the maximizer on my BMax on constantly. I figure that
    if I didn't want a maximizer, I'd have probably bought a different
    preamp. I don't know if anyone else feels that way.

Anyway, the smaller ones only have RCA type ins/outs on the back.
    At least the one I have is that way. That to me is an indication
    that it isn't meant for gig use. Of course, you may have a
    differing opinion/experience. I tried my small BBE on several
    gigs, and it wasn't able to keep up(noisy/crackly/scratchy/etc.).

14. It was a 2 channel with 1/4" in/out and a 1/4" footswitch jack. It did sound pretty good when I would use it to mix down recordings to tape.