1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Will a better bass make you a better bassist?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by whitedk57, Nov 1, 2006.

1. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    I am getting my dream bass on Friday. Is there anybody here who became more inspired and practiced more because of their new axe.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    My first good bass made a world of difference for me. My first bass had a terrible neck, and a pitiful two piece bridge. It was impossible to set it up for slap and it just didn't sound very good. A good instrument is no subsitute for practicing, and learning, but it sure makes it easier.

3. To be honest, when i used to play my MIM Jazz bass i was an average player, just doing what i needed to get by. The day i got my Rickenbacker i started playing exactly like Geddy Lee and acquired a vast knowldge of musical theory just by touching this bass.

The answer is no though.

4. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    A new bass can make you play a different way, can help your refine your technique, and inspire you to practice more, but alot of that is down to practice. If you are dedicated and dischplined a new instrument can HELP you improve.

I feel this ideal is mroe applicable to classical instruments, I know that when I moved up to a more playable double bass it made me a better player, no more harsh clack, unsightly intonation issues, or uneven response on different areas of the neck, less buzz and rattle, etc.

5. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    It depends on the person but it did to me.
    There's nothing quite like a bass/guitar you just love playing.
    I splashed out on a couple of basses in the past 5 years that make me want to play them. Call me a huge snob, but (most) cheap basses I've played feel... ...well cheap.

6. Warwickluvr

Warwickluvr

Dec 26, 2005
    I experienced this a little different.

I used to play only four string basses. However, after only playing a new 5-string for the last few weeks, I played my four again for the first time today.

Call me crazy, but now i feel like I have much more speed and control on the four-string.

(The four string is a Warwick and the five string is a MIM Fender.)

7. nico_80

nico_80

Oct 31, 2006
    SoCal
    I guess it would be about perspective. Are you going to like playing on a cheap bass that has lots of fret buzzing, horrible electronics and other issues? Short answer is no. So, in this regard it'll make you better because you'll bother to play more. But then again, if you have the passion to play, it doesn't matter how horrible the instrument is, you'll want to jam on it. If you have a better instrument, you'll be more prone to practice and to add more songs to your mental database.

8. Sometimes I look at my $2,000+ custom 6 string & think, man- you paid a pile of cash for that fine piece of furniture. Now, pick it up and play it! 2 hours later I'm thinking, man I gotta go to bed- just a few more minutes...

...45 minutes later...

...Man, I'm tired. Just a couple more minutes...

...etc, etc...

So I can't say it makes me play better, but it sure does encourage me to play more.

9. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    It better - this is what I tell my wife each time!

10. Tom Smith

Tom Smith

Jul 26, 2006
    Columbus, GA
    When I get a new piece of equipment I tend to practice a lot with it, and I find that a lot of folks do the same thing. So yeah, it can make you better. However, you can get the same experience from pushing yourself to practice more with your current gear.

11. RareBear

RareBear

Oct 30, 2006
    A better instrument usually results in a better player (especially if you're new to the instrument). I often advise people who tell me they are finally gonna get a first guitar or bass to find a way to go for a real quality instrument. Action, sound, lack of bowing or warping, good machines and bridges all add up to "transparancies" to the playing experience. And never judge a guitar or bass in a guitar store without keeping an open mind to how it might sound and feel with fresh strings. Guitars stores hang some great guitars with horrendous grungy strings. A new set and a set up will reveal an awesome axe. Shoot for the best and be patient is the rule of thumb.

12. It's a fact proven over and over again the more money you spend on equipment the better a musician you are.

13. Gegatso

Gegatso

Jan 16, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    A "better" bass won't really make you a better player in my experience, but bass that feels all wrong in your hands (good set-up taken into account) is always a strike against you - especially for beginners. You just have to find what feels right to you. I always encourage beginners to play a million basses before actually getting started since so many people quit playing because they feel they are at fault for not doing well when it is really due to the instrument not working with their hands.

Mark

14. Lokire

Lokire Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Seattle, Washington
    Absolutely. A better bass will inspire you to play more, and that in turn will make you a better bassist. Also, a 'better' bass will play better, making it easier to play. Which will allow you to play cleaner and sound better.

Especially when you finally get that dream bass. The bass with the neck that fits your hands perfectly, and has the tone that you've always heard in your head. Playing "the one" bass will open you up to new possibilities...

15. Every time I got a better bass I definately spent more time working on it.
    Especially if there was a long period of GAS build up prior to getting that bass.

But also if the setup is perfect. Wah, I'll never put it down...

16. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    A properly set up bass will not impede the player, instrument wise. The fact that we acquire a better new instrument (meaning we desire that) we spend more time and devote more effort, advancing in technique and making it our own. So the answer is yes. Few instruments that really made me take them to bed with me are: Dingwall, Ken Lawrence, Ritter, MTD, Stambaugh, F Bass

17. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    Simple answer. No. Practice? Yes.

18. Better sound makes you a better bassist.

19. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    No, but it will allow you to make yourself a better bassist.

20. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Endorsing Artist: IGiG Cases
    Its all in the fingers man.
    Though , a great bass gives you more inspiration .