1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Will a Boogie Diesel 215 cab work ok as a PA subwoofer?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Winston Wolf, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Winston Wolf

Winston Wolf Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2002
    Orange County, CA
    Hello.
    Going to add a subwoofer to go with the Yamaha S115V's in our bands PA system. Before I buy a subwoofer, will a Boogie Diesel 215 cab work ok as a subwoofer? I have an extra 215 cab with original EV's and was just thinking about possibly using it with the PA system. I haven't tried it out yet. I'll have to wait for the next rehearsal. Anybody tried this before? Is it worth trying?:meh:
    Thanks.

2. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    No.
    Because it's a bass cabinet...? And very mid-voiced anyway like a lot of the Diesel+EV line.

3. Winston Wolf

Aug 31, 2002
    Orange County, CA
    Thanks for the response. I was just trying to not spend anymore money. I picked up a Yamaha sub this morning for our system.

4. Hi.

:confused:

It's basically a 2*TL606 AFAIK.
    So it's not a MI bass cab to begin with, but a PA bottom.

True, it's considered obsolete by todays standards, but a lot of people still uses TL606 or TL505 (like me) cabs as a part of their PA rigs.

I'd say it'll perform not in any different way than any TL "sub" would.

You obviously have to pay attention to the speakers complaining, but that should go without saying regardless of what you use.

Regards
    Sam

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    yeah, but it's been a long time since anybody thought TL 606s were adequate PA subs.

it's a bass guitar cab, and a good one.

6. Hi.

Perhaps in the world of the rich and famous, but at least over here those old workhorses see regular PA duty on bands with limited budget (and strong healthy backs) :).

Regards
    Sam

7. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    You could get a used "adequate" real sub for the price of this cab in the first place. If the OP is out money, then sell or try and trade for it. There's a reason you don't use bass or guitar cabinets for a PA.........

And second, just because your drivers are similar (are they? most Diesel 2x15's had the 300W EVs in them, the good ones anyway) doesn't mean the boxes are the same, or close, or even comparable...................

:oops:

8. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    well, the old boogies were pretty much dead-on TL 606s.

9. Winston Wolf

Aug 31, 2002
    Orange County, CA
    I'm curious to see how the 215 cab compares with the Yamaha single 18" subwoofer. When I figure out how to get all of the gear to rehearsal I'll make the comparison. I don't have room to fit all of my bass and PA gear in my truck. I'll post my comparison results when it happens.

10. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    the 215 might be louder at "midbass" stuff, 60Hz and up, but it won't have the lows of a real PA sub.

i wouldn't bother.

Winston Wolf likes this.