Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will a couple of days of cold be bad for my bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by funk_engineer, Nov 22, 2001.

1. Well, I now own my first bass, a standard jazz. Thanks, in part, to advice from here. Soon, I may have to make a slight road trip with my new weapon, and it'll be exposed to some colder temperatures. Right now it's at a little less than 70 degrees F in my house. Over the next couple of days, I'll be in cars and an unheated building, and the low temp around here recently has been in the low to mid 30s. Is this going to be dangerous to my bass? Will everything be fine if I just warm it up really slowly? I'd rather not screw up my neck; taking time to get cash for repairs would seriously slow me down in learning.

-Neil

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

It's not the cold, (that's about speakers). It's the humidity.

If you're expecting it to stay out in a lot of dampness, loosen the strings and take tension off the neck until you use it again. If you can get some silica packets from a music store, (probably give them away), so much the better.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Good advice from rick, and what you said at the end of your post is good too. Let it adjust to the temperature changes as slowly as possible.