Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will a Goliath Jr.+ a Goliath=Goliath Sr.?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cantstandsya, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Would a 8 ohm Goliath 3 + a 8 ohm Goliath Jr. 3 with 500 watts bridged have the same effect as 500 watts into a single Goliath Sr. 6-10?

2. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Come on guys.Anyone run a 2-10 and 4-10 together(mono)?

3. To the best of my knowledge, there will technically be a small difference, for example, two 4x10s are different than an 8x10 from the same company. And so the same should hold true for a 6x10 compared to a 2x10 and 4x10 stack. Will it be noticable? Probably not majorly, and i think you should be more than fine running that setup.

Also remember one thing, with the 6x10, you'll get 500w running through the entire cab, with the modular setup, each cab will only get 250w which may make the setup quieter than the other. Of course with the 4x10 and 2x10 setup, you'll still be able to play any gig.

4. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I have the exact set up you're talking about with the exception of the amp. I run a Mo' Bass to my Goliath III and Goliath Jr. According to the owners manual from SWR the total power output of your amp should not exceed the total power handling of your cabs together at total ohm rating for your cabs . So, I'm running 900 watts (mono) to a 700w + 350w system @ 4 ohms.
    From what I gather, the power is not equally distributed between the two cabs. The 4x10 sucks up more power in the chain than the 2x10.
    As far as total volume, you have to look at the cabs sensitivity ratings. The Goliath Sr. has a sensitivity of 110 db, while both the Goliath and Jr. have a 105. In theory, with the same power applied, I believe the Sr. would be louder. BUT, then you have to haul around a 110lb. single cabinet all the time. I've found the modular concept to be much more transportable and lower back friendly and I have yet to turn up past half way on my preamp and master volume.
    These are just my opinions and observations. I hope this helps.

5. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Funny, I've found just the opposite to be true. I previously owned a couple of Goliath II 4x10s and now own a Goliath Sr. I find the Sr. to be much more convenient and portable due to the integrated casters. I roll the thing around rather than hefting it, which is what you have to do with a 4x10 or 2x10. The Sr. was also designed to be a bit lighter...I don't believe mine weighs anywhere near 110 lbs.

6. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Much of it is personal preference I'm sure. SWR's site lists the Goliath Sr. at 115lbs.
    I don't know about the older Goliath IIs but my Goliath III has really nice casters (removeable) built right in. My entire rig rolls right along.
    Don't get me wrong, in my fantasy land I'd love to have a couple of Goliath Seniors driven by a couple thousand watts! For me its simply being able to vary my set up a bit more.
    Small gigs/rehearsals - Mo' and Jr.
    Medium - Mo' and Goliath III
    Large - Mo', Goliath and Jr.
    That's just my thoughts. Everybody has their thing!
    Thanks

7. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Maybe I'm just stronger than I think :D

The ability to down or upsize is a definite plus with the 2x10 + 4x10 setup. Sure can't do that with a Sr. All my small gigs are REAL small...I use my WM-12.

8. ArtBlegen

ArtBlegen

Mar 27, 2002
    Gotta take into account the vehical too. A Goliath Sr would be great if I was pulling the trailer, but I'm trying to fit my rig into a Honda Accord. Today I'm picking up the Redhead combo and will be adding a G-Jr. in a couple months.

9. ArtBlegen

ArtBlegen

Mar 27, 2002
    Not to mention those nights we play at the coffee shop and have to carry all our gear up a spiral staircase.....

10. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Ooohhhh Man....those are the gigs where I go direct into the P.A. :D