1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Will a great preamp (ie an Aggi OB3) make average pick-ups sound great?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DAcat, Jan 17, 2012.

1. DAcat

DAcat

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    I got an Ibanez SR1000EFM off Ebay that was only 1 year old. It has a Bartolini preamp(which one?) and Bartolini pups (? ones).The pots are very scratchy and it just does'nt have very good tone compared to other high end Ibanez basses that I've played though I like how the bass plays...I don't know if the active onboard Preamp was tampered with or what...I'm not sure which pick-ups it has, but would it make sense to replace the onboard preamp and pots first...ie, will a great preamp (ie an Aggi OB3) make average pick-ups sound great? Thanks ...Peace...DAcat

2. RickeyC

RickeyC

Jan 17, 2011
    Arkansas
    I would assume it would, but I'm not too familiar with Aggi to be honest. So here is a:

Bump

:)

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    A picture might help us identify the pickups. BTW, the pots can be cleaned or replaced, and that will need to happen no matter what pre-amp you run.

I have an OBP-3 in my Valenti. It is great, but then again, the bass has Nordstrand Fatstack pickups and a superb fretless neck with an ebony fingerboard. It is hard to compare that instrument to others I have.

What I love is the combination of the two (pre and pups), including the mid-band switching and coil taps, all of which Nino implemented with push-pull pots.

4. My 5 string has Bartolinis and an Aguilar preamp, and it sounds spectacular. Then again, I'm such a plebe that I think Bartolini Pickups AND electronics are great.

5. DAcat

DAcat

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    Thanks for your answers and sorry I did'nt give much info or a pic...The PUPS don't have anything written on the front except Bartolini and maybe if I removed them there would be a serial no on the back or something...maybe that would be better than a picture?? And I did spray some Contact cleaner ( the D5) and it worked almost instantly to solve the scratchy pot sounds... but still not happy with the overall tones...Peace...DAcat :cool: