Will a Hartke 7000 kill my cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HippieBoy, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Hello...

I'm a technically challenged newbie with a simple question. Will the Hartke 7000 I'm lusting over turn my cabinets into dust?

I have a Hartke 4x10 (rated at 200 watts, 8 ohm if I remember right) and a Hartke 1x15 (rated at 150 watts, though I had to replace the speaker with a Black Widow in order to get through a gig a while back, so that may change the rating). The 7000 amp will biamp 350 watts per side. I'm hoping my existing cabinets will handle the strain... (Until now I've been using a Hartke 3000, but it seems to be developing problems, and I was having trouble keeping up volume-wise with the guitarist in my last band, hence the yen for more power.)

Any help is appreciated!
  2. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    I've got a Hartke 7000 and I will say that the amp is a powerhouse when it comes to throwing the wattage out. Others may disagreee...but personally I would have cabs rated at a bit higher peaks than that if I planned to run the amp full throttle. I will say that the 350 is max, per side, with a 4 Ohm cab...with an 8 Ohm cab it's like 260 or something. I ran mine through a Goliath III (8 Ohm) and a Big Bertha (4 Ohm) amd I could make my guts swirl with volume set around 5/6!
    (Shameless plug: I don't use my 7000 for anything anymore other than a backup if you want a great used one. Just spent 180 bucks on retube and servicing. FYI):D
  3. The Black Widow should handle 350 watts, though I would not push the bass EQ up since the cab you put it in may not suit the design characteristics of the speaker. My Peavey Databass uses a Black Widow and it pushes 450 watts.

I do recall the Hartke 4x10 isn't rated for high power. I would run bi-amped and put the highs in the 4x10, that'll help.
  4. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    Is the Hartke a Transporter (TP) series cabinet?

If it is an older mode 410TP, it will not handle much power - and will not do well on low frequencies. I know a guy that blew his with a Yorkville 250B head.

Biamping will help though (by cutting the lows) if you run it as the high channel.
  5. Hey, thanks for responding, everyone! I appreciate the help.

Yeah, they're Transporters... I've had 'em since about 1996 if memory serves. I'm due for some new cabinets, but I can only afford one thing at a time, so I'm hoping they'll last another year, till I get the 7000 paid off...

So, basically what you guys are saying is that the cabinets will work, as long as I biamp and don't push them too awfully hard...?