Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

will a hipshot vintage bridge fit under a cover?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Greg Johnsen, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    Ok, so some of you have seen my squier gone fretless project, and I've figured everything out except a few things. I like Hipshot bridges alot, and I've heard nothing but good comments about them, so I think I'm going to go with the hipshot vintage bridge, but my concern with this bridge is I was wondering if it will fit under a bridge cover. I'm going to buy a Fender Jazz bridge cover, but I need to know if this bridge will fit under it. If it can't, I'll purchase a better quality fender bridge than the one that's on it now, but I really want the hipshot.

My other question is about pickups, and I know that there is a pickup forum, but I think most people in this forum have experience in this area as well. I am debating whether or not to buy Seymour Duncan Basslines Quarter pounders (p/j) or a Basslines Vintage (p/j). I'm looking for that vintage tone, but I really want alot of clarity and punch. I also want alot of thick and meaty tone from the P pup, and some growl and burp from the bridge J pup. so if you guys can help me with which one of those will suit me better, than I'd appreciate it, or if you can think of any other pickups in that price range that will fit what I'm looking for.

and just for the people that want the entire specs, I'll list them:
    Maple/Maple fretless neck
    Schaller BML Tuners
    Black Allparts Pickguard
    SD Basslines (don't know which model)
    Fender or Hipshot bridge
    Chrome bridge and pickup covers
    vintage wiring kit (CTS 250K pots with cloth wire covers, etc...)
    XL Chromes (awesome strings btw)
    And maybe a decal for the headstock w/ my logo, but I don' know how to do thay yet, so help with that as well would be appreciated.

I'm trying to spend less than 300 bucks on this project (not counting the bass) and I'm already out a hundred, but I'm sure I could go over a little bit cause I have some extra money to spare.

Greg

2. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    bump....

3. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    wow, no one know's if it will fit under a cover... I guess I'll have to see for myself and report back to you guys when I'm done with the bass.

Greg