will a J-neck fit on a P ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AllodoX, Jul 14, 2002.

1. Ok.. i'm thinking of getting an all-maple neck for mr.p

problem is that the luthiers over here only sell J-necks.. that's fine with me.. but will the J-neck fit on a body at the joint ?
  2. trane

Jun 3, 2002
    Tokyo, Japan
    Yes. It's common to swap J/P necks with P/J bodies. Whatever floats yer boat.
  3. Yes

Fender actually made a P with a J neck,called the
    California Special I believe.

I`ve thought about putting a maple neck on my P,but doubt I ever will.
  4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
  5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    One thing to look out for... make sure both necks have the same number of frets. Some Fender necks have more frets than others and if you get one different from yours, you will not be able to intonate it.
  6. okidokie :D

so next week my mr.p will have an all-maple J-neck ( with maple fretboard ) with JUMBO frets :D :D
  7. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    for god's approval.... check out the opening of jaco's modern electric bass. he is changin his jazz neck for a p.
  8. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Not exactly correct. All Fender P + J necks, as well as all P + J replacement necks (except rare, special 35" scale models) are 34" scale. This means the that they all are 34" scale, they all use the same fret spacing, and the same mounting hole distances. The difference with a 21 fret model, such as a Warmoth, is that the extra 21st fret is on an extended bit of fretboard, that will overlap the body by a little bit. They will bolt right in, use the same bridge position, string length, intonation, etc. (the first 20 frets are in the same positions). You can see the fretboard overlap in these views of a Warmoth neck.
  9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I believe what Turock was referring to was the Fender basses that have 22 frets. Yes, they are all 34" scale, but if the neck pocket is designed for a 22 fret neck, and you only have a 20 fret neck, you are going to have a gap. He just meant for easy swapability. Yes, a 34" scale is a 34" scale, but they aren't all direct replacements, overhang, or not.
  10. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    What I am saying is:
    A 22 fret Fender neck will not work on a "20 fret" Fender body. It will physically fit, but you will not be able to intonate it. Also, a 21 fret or 24 fret Warmoth neck will not work on a Fender body designed for 22 frets. Those necks are designed for a Fender bass that has 20 frets.
  11. so why would they sell a neck with a 24 fret "extension" in the style of a fender neck wen no fenders have 24 frets????

12. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Because the whole neck is not extended, just the fingerboard. It's a kind of overhang that extends over the body, like a shelf.
  13. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    I was under the impression that not only were the scale lengths always the same (34"), but that the distance from the nut to the heel was also always the same, regardless of the number of frets. If this distance does indeed vary, then swapping to the wrong neck would ruin the intonation, since you would be changing the scale length! I didn't know that this varied- sorry for the misinformation.
  14. Si-bob: Your statement that no Fender's have 24 frets is not exactly correct. I currently have in my arsenal of 8 Fender basses, one with 24 frets. It's the Stu Hamm Urge-II model.

I'm not sure, but I do believe that this, and the original Urge Basses, are the only ones they've ever made with 24 frets, but, I could be wrong.

Keep Thumpin'! Sammy!
  15. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    I believe the original Urge basses were medium scale also - 32". But the original question, anyway was about P and J necks. Can anyone confirm whether there are in fact different nut - to - heel distances?
  16. Std style J and P basses, have the same heel to nut, heel to bridge spacing. You can take the neck off of virtually any 20 fret, 34" J or P and interchange them. This is what my luthier told me.

The points brought out about the 21 and 22, and sometimes 24 fret aftermarket necks are true. They virtually all use the same heel to nut, heel to bridge spacing as the normal necks. It's an overhang on the fretboard. I believe Fender has even done the same with the new Custom Classic Jazz Bass. It has 21 Frets and it's an overhang.

The active, 22 fret, American Deluxe models are different. You will run into a problem with them because the heel is at the 22nd fret, not the 20th as it is on the standard necks. The bodies for the AmDlx J and P basses are different as well.

If anyone cares to add anything else, have at it. The more information the merrier.