Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will a Lakland 5 or Sadowsky 5 fit in a Levy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jerry J, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Does anyone know if a Lakland 5 string or a Sadowsky 5 string will fit in the Levy leather gig bag?

I've found that the Sadowsky, even though it's a 34" scale, is just as long, overall as the Lakland 5's which are a 35" scale.

Thanks for any help.:)

2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    yes, sir- i sell Laklands and ship them out in the Levys/Lakland bags all the time-

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I don't have a Levy's leather bag, sorry. I do have a RokSak leather gigbag & it fit's fine.

4. I have a Levy's canvas bag and my 35" Dean fit fine.

5. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i still don't see how you can spend circa $3000 on a bass, but not get a $100 case. My stingray cost me about half that, and i would have bought a case had it not been shippen in one. It just seems like a gigbag is a tweaked (or broken) neck waiting to happen? What gives?

6. Can you carry a hardshell case on your back? Didn't think so.

I'm of the opinion that if a hardshell case is anything less than an ATA-spec flight case, one might as well just use a gig bag. I would have liked to have found a commercial HSC for my FBB, but it makes more sense for me to have a flight case.

7. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Forget about scale length. Measure your bass tip of headstock to bottom. Include the strap button if it is centered on the bottom. Most Levy's bags (and other makers for that matter) will accomodate a 49" long bass. I have two basses from the same manufacturer. One is 49" tip to tip and fits (though just barely) in a Levy's bag. The other one is 51" tip to tip and I had to spend some bucks to have a bag custom made. Two inches can make a world of difference.

Peace,

James

[​IMG]

8. My MTD 535 fits in a Levy's leather bag....

Heh heh heh...

9. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    The reason that I asked was that I'm in Dallas for two weeks and I found a store that has Leavy Leather gig bags in stock. I was going to get one but wasn't sure that my Sadowsky will fit. The Sadowsky doesn't fit in my other Levy bags whereas my 4 string Fenders fit just fine. So since I'm away from home and my basses I can't get measurements.

When I was at the shop we tried a Modulus 5 string and it just barely fit in the bag. And that was really pushing it. We also tried an Alembic it was too wide and long. I don't recall which Alembic it was.

Hey Funkycarnivore, I was also wondering if an MTD535 would fit. Thanks for info on that.

As far as a case for the Sadowsky, I have the ultra-light case. It's a great case but not real practical for my everyday needs. I've been using gig bags for years and have never had a problem or issue. I also play a double bass and I carry that in a gig bag. Do you know how much a hard case costs for a 2x bass or how much they weigh? The gig bag works just fine there, too. ;)

10. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I guess I should have been more clear in the title of this thread. I'm referring specifically to the Levy leather gig bag.

If someone could measure their Sadowsky or Lakland I'd would appreciate it greatly.:)