1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Will a low B damage a vintage Ampeg 810

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LeftyLB70P, Oct 28, 2005.

1. LeftyLB70P

LeftyLB70P

May 4, 2005
    Athens, Ga.
    I have an Ampeg SVT 810 with the original speakers in it (CTS '71). I am playing through an Acoustic 220 which is 170watts into 4 ohms and 200watts into 2ohms.

Do I stand a good chance of blowing or damaging my speakers as I tune my Precision to BEAD and crank the amp? That low B makes me wonder. I have a Bassman 410 that I use at practice and last night, after playing for about an hour, something definately happened to that cab. Not sure that I blew a speaker but some kind of distortion suddenly appeared.

It's one thing to damage my practice cab, quite another to hurt this one. I really appreciate the fact that it is completely original and would rather not tear anything up.

Please give your opinion/advice.

The cab is rated (in case you are not aware) at 4 ohms. I primarily use it alone however I am entertaining the idea of occasionally matching it with 4 more ohms (2 - 410 cabs rated at 8 ohms each) to drop it to a combined total of 2 ohms which will draw the most power from my amp. (Only a few stages -- this is a lot of cabinet/speaker space for the type of gigs I typically play)

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I had a 70's SVT 8x10 like yours, powered by the same year SVT head. It was a great rig! I used five and six string basses with that setup with no problem. Not quite sure what happened to your other amp, but in my personal experience, a low B was never an issue.

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

I doubt you'd damage the cab using a low B. If it sounds like ass, it would probably be a result of not using enough power, rather than the cab.