Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will a low B damage a vintage Ampeg 810

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LeftyLB70P, Oct 28, 2005.

1. LeftyLB70P

LeftyLB70P

May 4, 2005
    Athens, Ga.
    I have an Ampeg SVT 810 with the original speakers in it (CTS '71). I am playing through an Acoustic 220 which is 170watts into 4 ohms and 200watts into 2ohms.

Do I stand a good chance of blowing or damaging my speakers as I tune my Precision to BEAD and crank the amp? That low B makes me wonder. I have a Bassman 410 that I use at practice and last night, after playing for about an hour, something definately happened to that cab. Not sure that I blew a speaker but some kind of distortion suddenly appeared.

It's one thing to damage my practice cab, quite another to hurt this one. I really appreciate the fact that it is completely original and would rather not tear anything up.

Please give your opinion/advice.

The cab is rated (in case you are not aware) at 4 ohms. I primarily use it alone however I am entertaining the idea of occasionally matching it with 4 more ohms (2 - 410 cabs rated at 8 ohms each) to drop it to a combined total of 2 ohms which will draw the most power from my amp. (Only a few stages -- this is a lot of cabinet/speaker space for the type of gigs I typically play)

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I had a 70's SVT 8x10 like yours, powered by the same year SVT head. It was a great rig! I used five and six string basses with that setup with no problem. Not quite sure what happened to your other amp, but in my personal experience, a low B was never an issue.

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

I doubt you'd damage the cab using a low B. If it sounds like ass, it would probably be a result of not using enough power, rather than the cab.