Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will a mod make my Big Muff more responsive to Wah?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by carl-anton, Jan 3, 2004.

1. Hi,
    Im trying to find out if my Electro Harmonix Big Muff (russian) can respond better to my wah (Crybaby 105q). I tried to put the wah after the BM, but it doesn't sound good at all. I've tried a lot of other dist pedals, and it seems the BM is the only one I can't get to really scream with my wah (all the other pedals were placed after the wah too). Could I fix this by modding the tone control of my BM, or is there another mod that could be done? There was a thread on modding BMs a while ago, but I can't seem to find it. Someone had added a blend knob and a new tone knob.
    (no dirty jokes, please. I've thought of'em all myself :D )

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Considering you have an enormous banana and a gigantic smile in your avatar, I don't think we need to joke ;)

Anyway, where is your tone knob at? Mine's somewhere around 10-11:00 and it screams with a Morley wah. What kind of settings are you using? It sounds like not enough treble is passing through.

3. (hehe... :rolleyes: )

Well, tone knob at 9, so I guess it could be due to lack of highs, but I think the BM looses low-end if the tone is higher than 9. I'll experiment with that. I'm beginning to think it's the wah, though. Maybe the Dunlop has to much quack-effect compared to the Morley. Think I'm going to try one out. Is yours a Power Wah?

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    No, I'm using the old Pro Series II bass wah, the blue one. But I'm consiolidating my pedalboard and that's going pretty soon. (Gonna be needing a car in a month or two) and basically the combo is praised by many, but I'd like to get a power wah in there soon.

5. yeah power wah!!!@##$@$!#$ mines awesome but im a little disapointed at its bypass, gonna get it modded soon.

6. Thanks guys. I tried everything with the Big Muff now (before/after the wah, setting the tone-knob higher, adjusting the q-knob on the wah) and it's still the same. Guess it's just the way it works with my wah. So if there isn't a mod that'll make it better, I'll look for something else.

Tomorrow I'll hopefully try a Morley wah, and a Carl Martin "The Fuzz". Hopefully it'll give me both the thick fuzz of the Big Muff, sweet overdrive and still work with the wah. Else I think my setup is going to be wah, Big Muff and EBS Multidrive or EMMA ReezaFRATzitz (good name, eh!?)

Btw I've got a local luthier to make me a bypass switchpedal, so I can bypass the all my effects at once. It's nice to know you have a option of a totally clean signal if something craps out, and it saves you the $$ of having all your pedals modded.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My only complaint is the cord, I don't have a powerstrip on my board, just a daisy chain of power jacks. That means I have to run two wires to the socket :(