Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will a Musicman Stingray neck fit on a jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Planet Boulder, Jun 13, 2003.

1. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    All - I've found a Musicman neck that I'm considering putting on my MIM Fender Jazz. Does anyone know if this neck will fit the Jazz's pocket?

Thanks in advance as always.

2. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I'd say no. They have completely different bolt configurations and I don't thing that they're the same size. I may be wrong though... has anyone tried this and had it work?

3. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i have a Hamer Slammer that has a warped neck,i put my mexican jazz neck on it and it fit to the T.i came across a stingray neck that was lacking a body,so before i bought it i asked my tech if it would fit on to the Hammer p-bass and i was told definetely not.so the answer being if a fender neck would fit on the Hammer but the stingray would'nt, its safe to say that the stingray's and fenders are non-compatible. i hope i did'nt mess you up too too bad :D

4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    geezer - very interesting. Here's another scenario: This Stingray neck fit a Fender Precision. Do Precision necks fit Jazz bodies?

5. Jazz necks generally fit Precision bodies, and vice versa. However, besides the question of whether or not not the neck pockets are the same size, there's still the fact that a Fender P/J neck is 20 frets, and a Stingray neck is 21 frets, so the neck meets the body one fret higher on a Stingray than on a Fender. You'd probably have to do some fairly substantial adjustsments to the intonation at the bridge, like moving the saddles forward by the distance between that 20th and 21st fret (1/4"?).

Mike