will a nice amp make my sansamp redundant?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by boogiechillen, May 14, 2012.

1. boogiechillen

boogiechillen

Apr 12, 2012
    So i just ordered a Hartke LH500.
    Tube front end, eq, and a limiter.
    It has a direct out. Will it make my sansamp BDDI redundant for direct live and/or direct recording purposes?
    Thanks for your help folks!

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Depends what you consider to be "your sound". I don't see the point of buying a "head" if you like the sound of the SansAmp. A power amp would be much cheaper and achieve the same thing.

3. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    I would say yes....but the sansamp can utilize phantom power in a live setting if your amp fails ya...

4. Probably, but it will work well as an emergency backup, and you could always run it to the effects return to bypass the Hartke preamp if you prefer the SansAmp for that purpose. That Hartke is a great head IME.

5. i got the sansamp RBI 8 years ago and i liked the sound of my ampeg b2r better. the only thing i really used the RBI for was a short lived distortion experiment. i'm probably gunna be in the minority on this one though

6. boogiechillen

boogiechillen

Apr 12, 2012
    So far im really impressed with the way the sansamp sounds direct to PA....so i guess eithe the hartke will just act as a high quality onstage monitor at worst...or if the tube preamp section is really good, it will double and nice DI/pre as well making the sansamp redundant....i guess i have to wait till it arrives.

7. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    Always great to have as a backup.
    plus , great distortion sounds if you have songs requiring it

8. I don't know about the BDDI, but I have the VT bass in front of my LH1000. I love it and get compliments on my tone all the time. With just the right amount of grit coupled with the LH eq, you can get a superb tone.

9. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Sansamp make a great backup, redundancy is the point of backups.

10. Don't expect the Hartke pre to give you nice "tubey" distortion, it won't. That's not what it does.

11. boogiechillen

boogiechillen

Apr 12, 2012
    aha....i was just looking at the manual...the hartke LH amps DI is PRE the eq...so i guess ill be keeping the sansamp as the FOH di cos of its tone shaping ability and using the effect out into the hartke, using the hartke essentially as an onstage monitor.

12. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    It depends on the amp. I really like my Sansamp with more vintage sounding heads or old tube heads (either in front or blended in FX loop), but not so much with more modern stuff or most solid state.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021