will a noise gate get rid of treble hiss?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by learning_towalk, May 6, 2004.

1. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Only when you are not playing.
  2. ok, see when I'm playing I don't really hear it...but when I stop it's just like "shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

so do you think that it'd be worth picking one up?
  3. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yes, but it's also worth it to find where the hiss is coming from in the first place. If you're running a lot of fx, maybe you don't need them all. Or you could put some in an fx loop, or you could buy a loooper to take them out of the signal path until you need them. If it's coming from your eq, new strings might give you the treble you want so you won't have to crank the treble knob and it's associated hiss.
  4. here's what I'm running

Furman rr-15nl>
    presonus Bluemax compressor>
    Sansamp RBI (treble has hiss)>
    carvin dcm1500>
    Avatar b410 with the horn BARELY on (horn is VERY harsh)

and I just ordered a BBE 362

my bass is an Ibanez SR-506 (a lil noisy but not too bad, or at least it wasn't on my old combo...but now the slightest bit o' treble and it's hiss city)

any suggestions?
  5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Well, your BBE is going to add alot of hiss. BBEs work by adding distortion to your sound, so expect to hear alot more noise when that arrives.

A good noise gate could help, but it could also funk your tone up a little bit. You will have to be careful how you set it, or it could squish your sound, not open fast enough, close too soon, etc.

It's a good general rule to follow that you use subtractive reasoning to fix problems rather than add. Got anything boosted too high in you EQ? Bring it down. Too much gear? Take something out.
  6. well crap I wish I would have known about the BBE adding distortion before I ordered it, because all i read online was about the Clarity it added...distortion doesn't = clarity :(
  7. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    The BBE is quiet itself.
    The Contour can sometimes magnify hiss that was already
    present in the extended high range to begin with.

It adds no distortion.
    It does accent high harmonics.

BBE 362NR

Boss NS 50 in the FX loop.

8. ok, well I rolled back my treble and that helped quite a bit...but it's still hissy...will that NS-50 if ran inbetween my preamp and poweramp get rid of the hiss??? i know I'm being redundant but I'm new to the effects game. :)
  9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Correction: yes it does. That's how it works. It adds distortion to even harmonics to bring them out more, which can give the impression of adding "clarity". This is well documented. Any time you amplify something, you not only increase the signal, but you increase the noise floor as well. The BBE works on an amplifying principle, to the point of distortion, so yes, your noise floor will be increased. Granted, it may be slight, but if you are already having a problem with noise, adding another stage of gain isn't going to help you any.

Try taking everything out of your signal chain, and then slowly add equipment back in until the hiss comes back. This will help you isolate what piece is adding the noise. Leave that one out.
  10. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    The BBE Sonic Maximizer tries to correct for phase
    alignment distortion in the signal path that causes "blurriness" in transients. The result is what appears to be a snappier, brighter sound.

However, the Aphex Exciter effect adds small amounts of harmonic distortion to the original signal to create artificial upper harmonic content which makes the sound seem brighter.
    The Aphex generates the "additional harmonic content" the old fashioned way:
    harmonic distortion.

If you read the Aphex patents you would see that their "patented audio process" involves using harmonic distortion to generate the "missing" harmonics. Adding harmonics that are not present in the original signal is the definition of harmonic distortion.

11. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    High Frequency controls on the Preamp EQ don't need a boost using BBE.
    Contour shouldn't go past 12:00.
    Treble on your preamp should be flat.

It's ok to back off on the Contour.
    Even when fully counterclockwise, the BBE is working...
    ...just not boosting the high freq.'s.

The 362 sounds great when used in my Home Stereo and
    when I'm tranferring old Audio Cassettes over to .wav files.
  12. ok, well I'll hook it up when it gets here, and if I don't like it, I'll stick it on here or on ebay :)
  13. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I love my bbe. Finger blister is right, it is a phase "correction" device, not an amp or distortion or eq. It is quiet.

Maybe turn the horn all the way off if you don't like it. Also, new roundwound steel strings are the best way to get treble without hiss.
  14. well I'm farely convinced that it's just bad grounding at my house because I took my rig over to the venue we're playing tommorrow and i plugged it up for sound check and even turning the horn up some (9 o'clock ish) no real audible hiss...boggles the mind lol
  15. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

A Rocktron Hush pedal will do an amazing job at getting rid of hiss.
    They're cheap and easy to find, too.
  16. judd levison

judd levison

Jun 2, 2003
    Howdy Benjamin,

just for the record, what you have described here is the operating theory behind the Aphex Aural Exciter, not the BBE Sonic Maximizer. While they both fall into a catagory that might be called "enhancers", the premises are completely different.

here's the poop from our website: http://www.bbesound.com/technologies/BBE_HDS/

of course, as with all signal processing, it not for everyone and you need to let your own ears decide if it's cool for you or not.

many folks find it an indespensible part of their tone shaping palette, and that's cool ...and some find it annoying ...such is life.

peace and thanks for listening,