Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will a normal guitar distrotion do for my bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by killemall, Jun 19, 2005.

1. killemall

killemall

Aug 26, 2004
    Hey dudes,
    I want to get some distortion on my bass,
    is a normal guitar distortion pedal (eg the boss DS-1) good enough to do the job decently or should i get a special bass distortion (and where do you get these?)

Greetz

2. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Totally depends on the tone you are after.

Bass distortion is very, very subjective. It seems like everyone is looking for a slightly different thing.

Do you know exactly what you want out of a distortion efect? (Sometimes this can be a tough question to answer.)

But hey, if you like it go for it! People DO use them.

:D

Joe.

3. as noisy as it is, i love my odb-3. not the greatest on the ears, but it's got good attack and cuts off notes instantly for me.; very brutal

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The problem with most guitar distortions is that they totally kill all the low end response and sound very tinny. This is why people will blend a clean signal with their distorted signal. And it's also why people who make bass distortion units have a blend knob on them.

5. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    to me, guitar pedals are useless unless you blend them with clean channel.

I tried some (boss metal zone, boss SD-1, ibanez lead-something??) and I got lost in the mix... even If I like a relatively "thin" and midrangey tone, there was no way to be heard through the mix with those pedals.

I currently use a jacques tubeblower, which is a guitar pedal which retains low-end, and it works... you have to boost a bit of mids on your amp, but you don't get lost in the mix.

guitar pedals sound cool alone, but when you play with your band, they suck.

6. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    **cough**

Search function...

**cough**

:scowl:

Alex

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003