Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will a PA cab work for bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pearly Gator, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Pearly Gator

Pearly Gator

Dec 10, 2005
    SoCal
    I was searching for a cab and spotted this Kustom 2X15. It's ported and has a 101dB sensitivity. Would something like this work for bass if used with a seperate head? Kustom 2X15 cab

Is there something about a PA speaker's cone design that would prevent them from being used for bass? There's some other ported 1X15 cabs out there that I'm considering due to their low cost. Anyone use a PA for bass?

Gator

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the whole world uses PA cabs for bass due to direct boxes at large venues. ;)

as long as the cab can handle the bass frequencies and the wattage of your head, it's no problem. some cats prefer the sound of a PA cab for bass. try it first.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    You can use PA boxes for bass and in many cases the engineering is better than bass cabs. However, keep in mind the phrase "You get what you pay for." Low cost doesn't necessarily mean low quality, but very often it does. A 2x15 with horn for $180? A high quality fifteen-inch raw driver goes for $180. I'd set my sights a bit higher.

4. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    here's my bottom cab in some circumstances..
    it's a PA sub, but it's a perfect sub in my two way or three way bass setup as well.

[​IMG]