1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Will a Powerbug (9V Battery) fit in my Stingray?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JanusZarate, Jul 22, 2007.

1. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    For those not aware of PowerBug: www.powerbug.com

Now, I know several people on TB use it. I also know that, because of the Powerbug's odd shape and slightly larger size, it has trouble fitting into some battery compartments.

Does anyone have experience using these with an MM bass (Sterling, Stingray, Bongo, etc.)? Will these batteries fit fine in the flip-up battery compartment?

I don't want to order these if they're not going to fit, so I'm wondering if someone else already took that chance.

2. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I've not used Powerbug. But if you scan down the artist page on their site, one of the people you'll come across is this guy, using a Stingray 5. It's possible the picture was taken before he started using Powerbug batteries, and he stopped using a Stingray before he made the change to Powerbug, but it's unlikely. You should be in the clear.

http://www.redlinedefiance.com/photos/pages/carlos.html

3. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Hmm... interesting find!

...I'll have to think about this one. I'll take another look at my battery compartment and make an educated guess.

In the meantime... if anyone's been in my shoes, please post!

4. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Contact the company and ask them.

5. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    interesting idea Boo. you're always up to something.:)

i think i'll just stick with me duracells. if it ain't baroque..i mean broke...

6. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I've never heard of these batteries. What's their claim to fame?

Anyone have personal experience with them?

7. Wondering the same..they are lithium ion batteries--which means they will last a long time--it also says: "And because the only magnetic components are the snap terminals, noise is reduced when powering active electronics," which is very cool. So, back to square one..will they fit in a stingray?!

8. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Now I want to know!!! All of my basses are active, if I can get batteries that last longer, I would! They are kinda expensive, but if they can justify the cost...

9. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Yeah, I'm going to send them an e-mail. I was just hoping that a TBer already tried them out on a 'Ray or Sterling!

Idle hands are the Devil's workshop, right?

Well, the Devil got a hold of them a long time ago... and they haven't been idle since :D

10. I uses them. They sell them in 6 packs. They run around $5 a piece. Which puts it at the same price as an Energizer Titanium. Actually cheaper. $ I was paying $5.87 each at Target.
    I use the PowerBugs and YES they do make a difference (The Energizer Titanium is good too) Haven been using long enough to see how long they last. But, my basses seem to have alot more punch and clearer tone. $30 for six is not bad. They fit all my basses.

11. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    But see, Alex, you don't have an EBMM bass :p

What style of battery compartment does your Stiletto have, though?

My old lefty Stilettos didn't have a separate battery compartment (I had to open up the control cavity), but I believe the right-handed ones do. I'm not sure how they compare to that of an EBMM bass, though.

12. I thoguht Lithium Ion batteries were rechargable? are these ones?

I have 2 Li-Ion 9v I keep in rotaion with my wireless transmitter, one in the transmitter one in the charger in the back of my rack. It's a good system, never failed me yet.

As for fitting your bass, get a pair of calipers and start measuring, that's one way to see if they will fit.

13. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Not all Lithium batteries are rechargeable. I've seen just as many that aren't as I have that are.

Li-Ion is a popular choice for rechargeable laptop batteries, but most Lithium button-size, AA, AAA, and 9V batteries I've seen are single-use.

14. Yeah,
    I guess if the compartment is tight in the EBMM you may have a problem. My Schecter, MTD and Jazz are all in the control cavity.
    SOoooo, I suggest getting a Energizer Titanium because they have a normal 9v shape.
    http://www.energizer.com/products/titanium/

15. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Why would a 9V DC supply make any difference in sound?

16. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    While it sounds like snake oil... it can make a noticeable difference in headroom.

Initially, I doubt most people would hear the difference. But batteries like the Powerbug maintain a consistently high voltage (and thus, better headroom) throughout their prolonged life, which is a huge plus. Basically, what it narrows down to is that voltage curve over time.

An 18V supply makes a much bigger headroom difference, of course, but the Powerbug's claim to fame is keeping a consistently high amount of headroom at a near-9V level (or 18V, if using two).

I've always wanted to test them out myself, but I'm afraid they might get stuck in my battery compartment. regular batteries already have a tight fit! :meh:

17. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Would you be so kind as to measure one and post the results here?

18. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
  19. just another follow up to this:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306831
    They last at least 4-5 times longer than a typical alkaline. I just removed one from my bass this past weekend after almost 18 months, it's not an "active" bass, but uses 2 9v's for "eq" presets. The battery still registered ~8.1v.

I don't generally use them for powering something that drains power quickly, like a wireless transmitter, but they are great for basses and your average floor pedals. I also had one in my Sansamp BDDI for about 7-8 months.