1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Will a Protec Contego fit a SKB Bass Safe?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mexibass, Jun 12, 2014.

1. mexibass

mexibass

Feb 12, 2012
    Cozumel, México
    Hey guys! Need a little help to figure this out. I'm travelling from USA to Mexico with my recently finished M Basses. I'm desperate trying to find a way it won't get damaged if the airline makes me check it. I've been reading lately about mostly good experiences from people that has checked their basses with the SKB Bass Safe, so I'm willing to give it a try. The thing is that my M Basses comes with a Protec Contego case, so before I buy the SKB Bass Safe I'd like to know if the Contego fits the Bass Safe. At first sight, it seems that it won't, but I've read posts that say otherwise. I'd really like to keep the Contego.

Has anyone tried this?

Thanks!

2. mexibass

mexibass

Feb 12, 2012
    Cozumel, México
    Anybody out there? ;)

3. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    No it will not (I have both). You'll need a gig bag that is not rigid.

4. mexibass

mexibass

Feb 12, 2012
    Cozumel, México
    Damn! Thanks a lot for the heads up bro. What gig bag do use with the SKB?

5. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I have a no-name cheapie that's essentially a nylon copy of a levy's bag. Almost any soft bag will fit, but keep away from anything rigid unless you can try it 1st

6. mexibass

mexibass

Feb 12, 2012
    Cozumel, México
    Got it. Thanks again! :)

7. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    It's not the rigidity that makes it not fit. It's the size of the case at the headstock. It's just too wide to go all the way into the SKB Bass Safe.

8. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I know. My post was advice to the OP who may end up having to buy a gigbag without being able to try it out for fit in advance. In that case, the less rigid the better :)

9. mexibass

mexibass

Feb 12, 2012
    Cozumel, México
    Yeah, I'm going with a regular gig bag I think, too hard to find which one has the best padding by looking at them on amazon.com though :(

10. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I've flown with the SKB Bass Safe and I had a very old gig bag with adequate padding. It was an old Levy's bag. It was more than enough. As long as it's not one of those plain canvas bags with no padding at all, you should be fine.

11. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Interesting.... I just got my Protec Contego to fit with a P bass inside, no problem. Both sections closed fully, with no stress on the strap. I did, however, remove BOTH upper and lower interior foam from inside the Bass Safe. My Contego bag was purchased around 2014. Orange trim/zippers (see pics).
    DD43B092-DF9D-4182-8908-1E4FA044FA47. 79D70165-84BD-42CD-BD17-FA08922AAD27. 18C760E8-339F-41BB-B9E2-BE187B86A66A.