1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

will a Sans Amp driver do anything for me

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by wrench45us, Apr 2, 2013.

1. wrench45us

wrench45us

Aug 26, 2011
    I have a passive dual humbucker bass (Steinberger Spirit 5 er)

and a Roland Cube 60 watt with amp emulations and some effects, including drive

I'm wondering if the Sans Amp Driver DI will bring anything to the table (like crunchy tube-itude) to that particular set of components.

The drive on the Roland Cube can get nasty, but it's a very solid state sort of distortion. And the bass is one some people describe as that 'modern' sound.
    The issue there may have more to do with the high level of sustain with that bass -- combine that with the drive and it can easily sing for over a minute -- not exactly the grindy abrupt thump a lot of people expect.
    I really like the amp emulations on the Roland, I'm just looking for something to add a little more grind.

2. a Sansamp BDDI programmable got me started. lots of playable & recordable options from dirty to clean. it did not end my search & i eventually went looking for more specific flavors of dirt. while i no longer use it for distortion, it is still useful to me as a clean boost, phantom powered line in to the board & eq. if you're looking for dirt i'd grab the VT version.

3. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    IMO it won't do too much for you. Depends on what sound you're looking for. You already have a tube amp so it may be a little redundant because to my understanding the BDDI is a sort of tube emulator sort of. It would be a good EQ and DI for you though. I also started with it about 14 years back. But I had a passive squire and a 50 watt solid state ampeg combo. It's all up to what sound you're going for. If you want a little more umpf in your sound it may be for you. The VT bass by the same maker is also a great pedal. I'd choose that over the BDDI. I also have a VT. If you're looking for some tubey crunch, check out the microtubes vintage by darkglass. It's an awesome pedal. So is the B7K and B3K. I always strongly recommend darkglass stuff because it rocks and doesn't take away any of your tone. IMO again.

4. That's why I like only some Tech21 pedals for myself, even though they all sound good. I preferred the Liverpool to use with my B3K because it doesn't mask the natural high-end of both my Ric and the B3K's crunch. I do believe the BDDI sounds best mixed at 50% though, with another kind of overdrive going through it.

5. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    I have a SAPBDDI running my power amp, but I still have a SABDDI in line for more "oomph" tube emulation. I have it set like a fat SVT. The SAPBDDI has cleaner sounds and a couple of patches with a little dirt.
    When I use a Jazz with flats I leave the SABDDI off. When I use a Precision with rounds I put it on.

I think it warms up any amp that's too transparent/solid state sounding. If you like that SVT sound as I do, that is.

6. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
  7. Thanks! I prefer my Ric/B3K over that tone, but it's definitely a different flavor that covers totally different ground. But this clip shows how the BDDI can still sound great even though it and the Proco Rat are "old gear":)

The clip on my page below that is my B3K into the Liverpool with the Ric, but my excellent drummer/guitarist friend isn't on that one:oops:

8. wrench45us

wrench45us

Aug 26, 2011
    thanks for the discussion

I'm leaning towards the darkglass vintage microtube
    just to dirty things up a little
    I have a nice woody tone now thanks to status half-wound strings and I like the idea of not losing that, just adding a little grit to it

9. Rafescow

Rafescow

Oct 21, 2009
    I have a BDDI and I must say this bad boy can give your tone some tube-madness character (even though I'm planning on trading it on a VT Bass DI as I find the latter suits my needs better).

Here is a soundclip of a tone I achieved with the sansamp bass driver (disengaged at first) (setup was Carvin SB4001 -> BDDI -> audio interface) :
    https://soundcloud.com/rafael-freitas-25/teste-distor-o-sansamp-bass

10. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    I agree that the BDDI can give you tube amp character, especially if you like that slightly overdriven Ampeg sound.

My main rig is driven by an Alembic tube preamp, which to me represents the ultimate clean tube tone machine. I use the BBDI as an efffect on my pedal board to add some occasional dirt and grind on certain tunes that the Alembic won't do by nature of its design.

Lonnybass

11. wrench45us

wrench45us

Aug 26, 2011
    I went with the Sans Amp VT Bass Programmable

it was an ongoing debate between that and the darkglass vintage microtube

basically the VT Bass programmable had a better demo on you tube to see and hear various settings -- including clean tone boost.

May or may not work out. You pays your money and you takes your chances

12. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I like my VT. It's a great pedal. Especially if you're looking for that svt sort of sound. The VMT is an awesome pedal too. Although I returned it and got a B7K. My VT is now off my board. But I'm building a new board soon and the VT will probably be going back on that one. I like the tones you can achieve with the VT. I used the VMT for a few days and it just didn't get what I was trying to achieve. Now that I have a B7K though, I sort of wishes I still had the VMT. I had to sell the VMT to help fund the B7K. Oh GAS

13. Broadbent

Broadbent

Mar 28, 2007
    i use that amp as my practice amp, the amp emulation on it SUCKS. a sansamp either the driver or the vt(I have both) will punch up your sound quite a bit.

14. Phlipper

Phlipper

Feb 5, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    Endorsing Artist: Old SS Peavey Lead Sleds and Peavey tube amps
    I just started using a BDDI today with my PV Max 700. I love the old SS Peaveys, loud as hell and uber reliable. But the tone can be kinda "Meh". The BDDI really warms it up and gives it more character, and it's nice having three tones at my feet.

Is the VT Deluxe really everything the BDDI is PLUS? Is it really that much better, tone-wise? I definitely looks interesting.

15. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    The deluxe has a DI and presets as opposed to the reg VT. The BDDI and VT are in the same ballpark but are two different sounding pedals IMO. The VT is "warmer" to me. It also has more range the BDDI I think. The BDDI def can help push a lower powered amp/combo as can the VT. I like the VT more because of give warmth it gets and the tonal range. I dig the dirt on it much more than the BDDI too. I originally bought the BDDI back when I first started playing thinking it was a dist pedal. The BDDI can def get a little dirty but I never dug it that much. Then again, I never really used it for dirt/grit. It always helped me push my rig to a different level when it was lacking in the band setting.

16. wrench45us

wrench45us

Aug 26, 2011
    I'm just beginning to realize what a slippery slope tone quest can ebe.

As I posted elsewhere I went with the BDDI programmable -- most simply because I had more trust in those you tube demos.

The original idea was to improve the tone on my Steinberger Spirit -- which has a nice woody tone thanks to Status Graphite half-wounds. That subtlety doesn't get enhanced, but I do get a whole lot more bottom and 'warmth' -- what grit I manage when overdriving sounds all upper register -- more a rasp than a growl.

On the other hand, what the BDDI does with my Yamaha BB425x is rather spectacular. Leading me to the conclusion that what dirty push you have at the start of the signal chain has an enormous influence on what can happen downstream. And I don't esp like the heavy distortion metal sounds - more the touch of grit that dynamically responds to your attack.

So as convenient as it is to practice on the Steinie (on the couch under headphones, watching TV), now I'm much more inclined to practice on the Yamaha (which kind of requires a stool, a foot stool and better posture.)

So it's either continue on the quest for the Steinie -- and it may be futile in a sense becauae it may never sound as good as the Yamaha or quit looking at this board and learn to live with what I have.

17. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I think most of us will be forever looking for "that tone" we hear in our heads. I know I will be. Although I've gotten damn close to it with my rig as it is now and I'm super happy with it :)

18. Not the Max or Nitrobass series, but my absolute favorite dirty bass tone was acheived with old Peavey MarkIII and MarkIV's on Faith No More's older albums. Those got dirty for sure, much like the old GK amps, to my ears. Seems the series you have could definitely use some added grit though.