Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will a Sansamp BDDI or Behringer BDI21 work as a headphone amp?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Feb 18, 2006.

1. I've got a headphone amp of sorts, but I'm not crazy about the sound. I'm interested in getting a tube amp modeler. Do any of you know whether a SABDDI or a BDI21 will work as a headphone amp as well?

2. indykrap

indykrap

Nov 6, 2004
    Yeah, I've used mine as one. It doesn't sound very good, though, but i don't really know what your gauge of headphone amp quality is.

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

They're not at all made for this kind of job.

4. I know it's made for shaping bass tone direct to the mixing board or to your amp. I'm just trying to find out if it would work with headphones as well.

5. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    It'll work (I've done this with the PDDI), but depending on the headphones it'll sound like crap.

Oh, and if you get the BDDI, get a new one with the level selector for the outputs, and set the 1/4" to line

6. Roman Matejka

Roman Matejka

Aug 20, 2005
    They are not headphone amps! If you want to use your headphones for playing you must buy some kind of Headphone Amp, e.g. Behringer HA400 (for that price sounds very gooo)

7. Thanks for the suggestion! It didn't sound right to think that a footpedal would work for a headphone amp, but that Behringer HA 400 sounds good.

8. dumelow

dumelow

Feb 8, 2006
    England
    i used to use my zoom 506II footpedal as a headphone amp, sounded pretty good aswell, just a ten quid pair of headphones

9. Ive tried it with the BDDI, didnt work too well, but, did work, altho, you might want mono headphones (possibly why i got annoyed with mine)

10. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    You could also use a mixer too. I use a behringer UB1202 which also has other purposes. Of course, it has treble, mids and bass. Sounds pretty good. You get the cheaper one channel version the UB502 for around $30usd. No mid control on the 502 though.

I am thinking of buying one of those mini amps (for guitar). I like the idea of their portability. they probably wouldnt sound too great without using headphones though.

11. Well this doesn't work on either BDDI's the new and the old ones I have tried... sounds like poop, on a $250 set of Sony headphones the soundman uses at church with a 1/4 end!

The new one is in no comparison as good or as well made as the older ones that doesn't have the 2 other switches, plus the battery cover is made from plastic! The older ones you have to put it inside like a "Boss" style pedal, are bass players at church and myself have used it for over 5-6 months now at I haven't even had to change the battery out, even though when at church its phantom powered. :D

Here is something you can check out online, might be something that could work for you... and its only $38