1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Will a Short Scale Mustang or Bronco Neck fit a P Bass body?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by backtobass, Aug 5, 2012.

1. backtobass

backtobass Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    I'm sure this topic has come up before but I couldn't find the answer I wanted. I'm in a band that is doint a lot of Police covers to the point that we are doing one set AS the Police. But I have small hands and hate the way playing the full size P bass feels. That means the Sting signature is probably out.

I'm currently playing two short scales, a Modded Bronco and a Hofner Galaxie. Still on the hunt for the elusive Fender P Bass Junior.

I was thinking of finding a Bronco neck or Mustang neck (Squire or RI Fender) and putting it on a Sting P Bass Body or maybe another P bass body.

Will this work? Has anyone done it?

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Don't try it - the bridge is in the wrong place on the full size body. Both the neck length and the bridge placement need to be correct of the frets on the short scale neck will not be positioned properly for the notes.

3. backtobass

Jul 20, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    Well . . . crap. Does that mean I could move the bridge? Or at that point am I way over my head? Right where I probably was when I started this thread

4. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    You could get a Fender Bullet bass short scale 30", it's
    a p-bass short scale or an SX p-bass SS..

5. backtobass

Jul 20, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    I was thinking of that very thing. Its just that the shorty Bullet's don't come up that often. SX may ultimately be the way I have to go and I'll just mod out what I want.

6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Just use a Squier Bronco. They play beautifully. Mine has a Gretsch 2202 pickup in it and it seriously rocks. You can mod it with just about any pickup out there.

PB070030.

The stripes are auto striping tape.

7. backtobass

Jul 20, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    I have a Modded Bronco with an SD Hot rail in it, but I wanted the "Sting" Sunburst look for the Police sets. Though if you look though all of the basses he went through I'm probably fine using anything. Just thought at Shorty Version of the famous "Sting" 57' P bass would be cool.