1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Will A Sponge Be A Good Mute Damper

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Starlightjohn, Jul 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. I Was Wondering If I Can Use A Sponge For Muting My Bass.Or Dose Form Work Better?

2. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    I think it is a matter of personal preference, and I'm not sure either is strictly better than the other. I prefer palm muting, as I can control the effect better. However I did go to the supermarket a few weeks back and buy a bunch of kitchen sponges and cut them up into thin strips to act as mutes.

This stuff:

top-5-spring-cleaning-tools-6.

I get that dumpy timpani-style tone that you hear a bit on the Jamerson isolated tracks. The pitch of each note decays and drops slightly.

3. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Bob-Babbitt-008.

I figured, if it's good enough for Bob, I'm down :) I use foam, not sponge, personally. Semi firm and I shave it down to the desired muted sound.

4. megafiddle

megafiddle

May 25, 2011
    A common cellulose sponge will dry out and become hard fairly quickly.

(edited)

I should say they will dry out quickly once they have been rinsed out good.

Apparently, a new fresh sponge contains something to prevent drying out.

-

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    tlc1976 likes this.
  5. Yep, anything you find that produces the sound you want is fine.
    Sponge, felt, insulation, foam rubber, maxipad, you name it.

Teacher likes this.
  6. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Why not just try it?

What bass are you playing that is spongeworthy?

JLS and ahc like this.
  7. A Squire P-bass with Flats

8. I still have the original mute for my 1963 P. It's essentially weatherstrip material that doesn't dry out. But a sponge will work just fine; if it gets too hard, spend a buck and buy a new sponge to cut up.

9. Nice Seinfeld reference.

10. Teacher

Teacher

May 3, 2012
    For the love of all things great and small, if you find you like the sponge, PLEASE use a yellow one, draw Spongebob's face on it, and post a pic! I'm not kidding....

11. There are all kinds of foams and sponges that work well for mute. Just pick one you like and sounds good.