1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Will a Squier Bronco bass neck or a new fender mustang neck fit a musicmaster bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sing-modulator, Jan 25, 2017.

1. sing-modulator

sing-modulator

Nov 23, 2014
    IL
    Title says it all. I have a 70s musicmaster and have been looking for a maple boarded neck to swap out my rosewood neck with. So what are my options?

2. sing-modulator

sing-modulator

Nov 23, 2014
    IL
    Or a jaguar neck!

3. I've read that the Musicmaster neck and Bronco neck are compatible, but I don't have any firsthand experience with the Musicmaster. At worst, there may be a need to sand or shim the neck pocket a tiny bit. For what it's worth, my Bronco's neck measures 2.289" at the 19th fret on an accurate dial caliper, and my Squier Mustang measures 2.269." I've never attempted to swap them, but I assume the Mustang neck would fit easier on the Bronco than the other way round...

They're both maple by the way, let me know when you're ready to trade :)

I believe the Jaguar neck would drop into the Musicmaster's pocket (with signficant slop that would need to be shimmed,) but the Jag necks are one fret longer, so the bridge would need to be moved toward the neck. The Jag neck measures 2.260 at the 20th fret. I could be mistaken, but I think the short scale Jaguars all have rosewood boards.

Zane DeBord likes this.