1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Will a SVP-CL Drive a DB728 to full power???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zootsuitbass, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Zootsuitbass

Zootsuitbass Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Output watts and input sensitive??

2. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    I ran that rig and you shouldn't have any problem driving the 728. I thought that would have been the "ultimate" SVT type setup, but I ended up hating that preamp and the low end was a mess with the 728 (not the 728's fault).

3. Zootsuitbass

Mar 13, 2011
    Oh?? Big mess?

4. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    The SVP-CL will drive a power amp to full power so long as the amp has an input sensitivity of .775 Volts which is the same as 0dBm if I remember correctly.
    I can't get the Aguilar site to open to check amp specs
    I do know that the only modern power amps I can find that will meet this spec is Peavey IPR or Crest.
    I believe that later model SVP's had a higher a 1.0V output.
    PM me if you need the schematic to change the older units to 1.0 Volts.
    Mr. Tiers has a shop he recommends for this mod and the price is approx. $175.

5. Zootsuitbass

Mar 13, 2011
    JGR how did these 2 not play well together??

6. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    The input senstitivity on the DB728 shouldn't be a problem - it's pretty easy to drive, so no issues there. I had problems with the SVP preamp in general - the way it was voiced and the EQ. The low end just seemed to boost a lot of sub lows - it was a bit better with SS power, but I still didn't like it - the DB728 adds even more of that massive girth that we love from tube power, but with all the deep lows out of that preamp, it was kind of a boomy mess. I also found that preamp pretty bland - extremely clean and not very tubey IME - hard to get a good sound to cut through - no real growl or grit to help bring definition to all the low end, no real character. I had much better luck running a Sansamp RPM into the 728 - probably my favorite - Aggy 659 was also good (I actually had a pair of 728's at the time and a bunch of preamps including the RBI, Ashdown RPM, SWR IOD, Aguilar DB659, etc.) - they all worked better than the SVP which went back during the trial period.