Will a svt 18e support a 810 cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matt sroka, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Matt sroka

Matt sroka

Feb 25, 2016
    Will a Ampeg SVT - 18E cab support a SVT-810HE cab? My guitarist freind says no. I say yes.

basscapes likes this.
  2. Matt sroka

Matt sroka

Feb 25, 2016
    Reason being i play bass and i am tall. Just want to get some speakers up to my ear level.

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Kneel! :)

4. You can’t hear a SVT 810?

eff-clef, andykeating, mbelue and 7 others like this.
  5. IMO, it probably will support it . But ....It would look janky.
    I would get another 810.
    That will do the trick for sure.

Wisebass, Bass 45 and Bassbeater like this.
  6. I know the feeling!

Even though I'm 5'10" (which is pretty average, I guess), I still wish I could get that top pair of 10s on my SVT810 up about 6 to 8 inches (or to me, "ear level").

I like my ears being "on axis" with the 10s, or hearing them like they were "center-miked". Something about the definition of those drivers and not having to add a tweeter just sounds good to me.

I usually sit down, facing the cab during practice, about 4 or 5 feet out from it.

Turning around (at a gig, to face the audience, for example) gives a whole different sound...

Then again, so does every venue!

7. voided3

voided3

Nov 11, 2008
    Given the weight and dolly-style construction of the 8x10, meaning it’s always on unlocked wheels, I would avoid elevating the cab vertically unless it’s on a sturdy stage riser. You could get a forklift pallet and screw some plywood to the top to make a roughly six to ten inch tall platform.

The Ampeg 18E cabinets are rather massive, and it could work as a riser with the wheels removed, but it would require some delicate maneuvering of a very heavy 8x10 cab that’s the same width as its “riser.” Also, if it’s on any surface other than concrete slab, it runs the risk of falling over and causing serious injury when the floor flexes around or if someone bumps into it.

8. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Well, compare that 810 cab to how much *YOU* weigh. Then stand or sit on the 18e cab and see how well it handles your weight. If it holds you, then the 18e should hold the 810 cab.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  9. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Mar 13, 2013
    Upstate NY
    Would it work? Technically, YES (as long as impedance isn’t an issue)

Should you do this? I don’t see how this would improve anything.

10. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    If your objective is to simply 'raise' the cabinet, I would either buy or fabricate a small platform the size of the footprint w/wheels to the desired height … if the object is to raise the cab and increase speaker surface, I would possibly consider a 2nd 810, and lay one horizontally, with one vertical on top …

11. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    It ought not be rocket science to make a platform that the cabinet can sit on. If you were to make an open bottomed stage box a bit larger all round than the cabinet you could simply socket it on top of the cab for transit. Some intelligent design ought to capture the castors too.

12. krovx

krovx Thump or Bust Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    What about a triangular wedge that would angle the cab upwards as opposed to having to support the entire weight of a 810 on a platform?

eff-clef and HaphAsSard like this.
  13. fourstringburn

fourstringburn Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2009
    New Mexico
    Try standing further away or move the cab further.

Bass frequencies travel further to fully develop than high frequencies.

Caca de Kick likes this.
  14. ThisBass

ThisBass

Aug 29, 2012
    Germany
    I wouldn't try to mix a ported cab with a sealed cab. Unless you try to confuse your amplifier which one of both cabinets shall be given a preference.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  15. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    The solution is to replace your 8x10 with a pair of 4x12s stacked vertically.

PillO and nilorius like this.
  16. SactoBass

Jul 8, 2009
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    That is a *very* common myth! Back in the 70's, I too thought bass frequencies needed to travel farther to fully develop (due to longer wavelengths). But I later learned that my thinking was incorrect. If bass frequencies needed to travel farther to fully develop, we wouldn't be able to hear any bass frequencies in headphones.

Wito, MDBass and IngloriousOz like this.
  17. Rick James

Rick James Inactive

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    Even if that was true, and it isn't, low frequencies aren't directional, so that's not what he can't hear. Mids and highs are directional, and with an 810 they have a very narrow vertical dispersion pattern.
    That's what I'd lean towards. Get it? Lean? :)

St_G and SactoBass like this.
  18. fourstringburn

Jun 30, 2009
    New Mexico
    Nearfield monitoring is the same theory, it takes a Low frequency wavelength that much more time to develop in your hollow head! :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Sorry, but you set yourself up for that one!

Do some research, the lower the frequency, the slower it cycles per second, and the longer the wavelength.

Bass guitar E string; Frequency is 40hz or 40 cycles per second (round numbers here for easier figuring)

Wavelength in sound is 1130 ft per second.

Wavelength is velocity divided by frequency.

Divide 1130(velocity) by 40Hz(frequency) = approx. 28 ft.

Wavelength for 40hz is 28ft.

Guitar high E string ; 330hz

1130 divided by 330 = 3.42 ft.

Look at that! An electric guitar high E string wavelength is about 25 ft shorter than your low E on your Bass!

There is some effect from temperature changes and other factors but this is the basics.

Marlon Carbone likes this.
  19. fourstringburn

Jun 30, 2009
    New Mexico
    Good pun with " I'd lean towards" !

Every rehearsal space is different and everything should be tried.

I once tried putting cabs on milk crates to get it up to ear level. While standing directly in front of it, well yes you'll hear it better since it's blasting directly in your ear. Overall when backing off some, it didn't make much of a difference. If that's what it takes to be heard, then maybe the band is rehearsing too loud, you think?

I found I do hear more sound when standing further away and I hear a better mix of everything. This only applies if you have a large enough space to begin with. Let every instrument have it's space to breathe sort of speak.

20. SactoBass

Jul 8, 2009
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Thanks! As an engineer, I am familiar with physics. Sound waves do not need any certain distance to "develop." There is no such thing. But the myth continues to exist, and so I just accept that fact! ;)

See also post #17 by Rick James for additional helpful info! :thumbsup:

armyadarkness and MDBass like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021