1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Will a SWR SM400S work with a Eden 210XLT Cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nofrontin, Jul 3, 2014.

1. nofrontin

nofrontin

Jul 28, 2013
    Long Island
    Will a SWR SM400S work with a Eden 210XLT Cab?

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Yes, if both units are functioning.

3. tbz

tbz

Jun 28, 2013
    SoCal
    An Eden 210Xlt is rated at 350 watts, and comes in an 8 or 4 ohm config.

Per the manual that Sm400s is going to run 250 watts @ 4 ohms, 150 @ 8 ohms unbridged/500 watts @ 4 ohms, 400 watts @ 8 ohms bridged.

Unbridged at 4 or 8 ohms should both be safe. Bridged looks like a potentially bad call at either impedance, if you run bridged listen closely for signs of speaker strain etc.

4. nofrontin

nofrontin

Jul 28, 2013
    Long Island
    Thank you tbz that's what I was looking for. The cab I would be running it through would be a 4 ohm 2x10. Is there any difference between bridged vs. unbridged besides the wattage? I'm a noob when it comes to amp stuff. Thank you!

5. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

You could (and I would for me) run it bridged, but as tbz said, use your ears for speaker farts and turn it down if need be.
    For me and my playing style (fingers, no slap and attention to right hand dynamics) I would not hesitate to run it this way. Keep in mind that EQ settings (especially bass boost) and your technique will have a large impact on whether it's good for YOU. If you like to boost lower freq's and start spanking that plank hard, you could create a problem quite easily if you are not careful. I run an Eden WT500 (500w bridged @8ohms) into a 350w ML112 sometimes with no issues but my EQ is flat and I pay attetion to what's happening from the cab.
    If you are not confident with the risk, then trust your gut, unbridge and enjoy.

6. tbz

tbz

Jun 28, 2013
    SoCal
    I agree with all of this advice. If you're playing finger style only bridged should be ok. If you slap or play with a pick at all, and aren't running compression into the amp, then I'd run unabridged

The short answer is no just wattage.

The slightly longer answer is yes. Your amp has two separate power sections, if you run it unbridged you can power separate rigs with each amp. In bridged mode it combines those sections together into one amp.

Since you already have a 4 ohm cab, if you add another cab you will have to run unbridged, unless you get a series cable, since another cab in parallel would put you at 2 ohms, which your camp can't deal with bridged.

Your amp can power a separate 2 ohm load on each amp at 300 watts. Or it can run a combined 4 bridged at 500, so in theory you could run a larger set of speakers, with more power (4 8 ohm cabs per amp, 8 total, with each cab getting 75 watts ) unbridged than bridged (2 8 ohm cabs, each gets 250 watts.)

Even if you hacked a series/parallel wiring setup to get 8, 8 ohm cabs at 4 ohms you'd only run them at 62ish watts each.

In practice however you aren't likely to do this, that's a lot of speakers for not a whole lot of amp.

As I mentioned though, the minute you add a new cab you have to run unbridged, unless you get a series cable.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  7. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    I would run it bridged for as much clean head room as you could get. I typically use an amp rated about twice the amount of output as the cabinet. If you have active electronics and you boost a lot of lows, you can just as easily mess up a speaker with a 350 watt head as a 600 watt head.

Just realize that if you aren't hearing yourself in a band situation, it probably isn't because you don't have enough amp, it is because you don't have enough speaker. That is where people start to over power their cab.