Will a wah pedal work in an fx loop?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by wolfkeller, Apr 25, 2019.

1. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    I bought a bass wah im gna try out in my live rig.

I will use this with my svt2 pro. I do run 3 pedals into the front of the amp, i keep them in my rack for my tech to switch so putting the wah there is a no, i need it up front.

Im thinking of running it in the svt fx loop for matter of ease. Doing this, will i get the drive form the amp and my sansamp in front of the amp?

2. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Depends on the wah. Some will have an impedance mismatch that could make this sound crappy, but it shouldn't hurt anything to try.

3. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    Dunlop 105q

4. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    Generally, you want to put anything in the frequency domain before the preamp, and anything in the time domain in the F/X loop.

Sticking a Wah pedal in the F/X loop won't get the most desirable result - but it might work for you.

I'd have the Wah as the first device the bass hits, then follow it up with distortion etc. The Wah will shape what hits the distortion, which will affect how the harmonic content is generated, and compressed, and ultimately how the preamp reacts.

If you stick it in the loop, you gain none of those benefits, instead just having a moveable band bass filter, for a basically static signal.

5. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    Makes sense. Ill have to figure a way to get it to mp pedals in my rack

Wood and Wire likes this.
  6. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017

Seems kinda weird to have something as expressive as a Wah, off stage in a rack.

It's one thing having a tech turn stomp boxes on / off ; but something like a Wah is effectively part of the instrument / performance, and really needs to be controlled by the musician.

7. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    My pedals are in the rack, the wah will be up front and thats where the issue is. Where to tap into with it. It would be way easier to go into the fx on the amp. Thats why i asked

8. How would you control it though? Even masters of hiding their pedals like Metallica still have their wah on stage to step on when they use it...

wolfkeller likes this.
  9. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    The SVT2-Pro manual is not specific, but I believe the loop is line level. In general pedal effects do not work well at line level...too hot!

wolfkeller likes this.
  10. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    I said, im gna put the wah up front.

theunknowndude likes this.
  11. Sorry must have misread it!

12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Just try it, that's easier than asking if it will work. You won't damage anything. As Swimming Bird noted, wahs may react differently depending on the load impedance.

electracoyote and wolfkeller like this.
  13. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    So are you running wireless?

In that case, go from the receiver output direct in to the Wah, using a long enough cable to get to the front of the stage, and then another long cable back to your rack of pedals, and then into the amp.

Obviously, with double the length of cabling there's more potential for noise / interference to creep into the signal (though coming from the receiver, the signal ought to be buffered against HF loss over long cable runs), and a potentially bigger headache if the long cables get damaged mid show.

If you're not wireless, just go direct from the bass, into the Wah, and then out to your pedal rack, off stage.

14. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    There is also an auto loop wah fx pedal.

15. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    You will create a small black hole, ending the world (and several other star systems nearby in the galaxy).

Seriously, it'll do something, and might work well, or not. Nothing will break.

16. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2007
    San Francisco
    I tried that many moons ago and it didn't work very well, it sounded like the inside of a paper bag.
    After that I tried it in front of the amp various ways, and my fav was the distortion before the wah, as it made it scream a bit more, but as always, YMMV

wolfkeller likes this.