Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will a Warmoth neck fit a USACG body?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sheepdog, Mar 1, 2004.

1. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    Warmoth jazz 4 string neck

USACG jazz body

Just curious. I asked Warmoth about a 1 piece ash jazz body. They weren't willing to give me my choice of wood unless it was from their showcase. I want a transparent nicely figured ash body. Am I being unreasonable in wanting to at least have a choice of a couple pieces of wood to choose from? I figured the USACG guys might be a bit more willing in this regard. I like the Warmoth necks better.

2. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Yes....

...yes it does.

:D

Hiya sheepdog!

The idea behind both of them is that they are swappable as Fender replacements - should be an utter non-issue. If you are concerned you can ask both if they are Fender-compatible and remove all doubt.

3. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    thanks...I was thinking that, but strange things happen. Of course I can buy a sunburst finish Fender replacement body for about $450. Not sure if I care about the "Fender" name on it that bad, though.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yup,

mine is exactly that:

[​IMG]

5. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL

thanks! very similar to what I will try to do. May try to use some black dye first to accent the ash figuring, then a clear gloss. Still working on how in the heck I am supposed to do that.

6. knuckle_head

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    I suggest an amber or clear oil coat or two first and then a dark tinted oil or dye as follow-up.

If you start with a black dye on raw wood the entire body will go black on you.

7. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL

I am trying to figure out how places like F Basses do it. Something like putting dark dye on the wood then sanding it off. The grain ends up being darkened while the other wood is still normal. No clue how they do it. I just know they get the grain to really pop out beneath the finish. I would definately experiment on scrap pieces of wood before trying this on a body.

8. knuckle_head

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    There's a thread on eBassist about that.....

They use contrasting stains/dyes. In the case of white grain on black wood they use the black dye first then in affect do a white 'antiqueing' to deposit white into the grain.

Do you want it natural-looking or do you want colors and contrasting grain? There are a few ways of going about it...

9. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    For black grain that jumps out of swamp ash, first seal the body with a thin "wash coat" of lacquer or whatever so your filler won't stain the ash. Then use a black paste pore filler, making sure to wipe off the excess (like it says on the can.) When that's good and dry, do the rest of your clear finish.

As far as our necks in a USACG body, I wouldn't think there would be a problem, but they could tell you for sure. We don't get many of their bodies to look at, but they've seen plenty of our necks!

As far as not having a choice of ash grain, this is the sad truth. Of course you can just trust us to pick a nice piece out for you, but we can't match a piece of wood to a picture, as much as we'd like to. We do plan to photograph blanks and tops so you can see it before we cut it, but we're not quite ready yet. Have to find some place to put it all first... :)
    [​IMG]

10. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I'm not worried about matching an exact grain, I just figured if I was paying for a 1 piece body, a shot of the wood wouldn't be that big of a deal. I just know there is some ash who's figuring has looked more like alder (very little figuring). And yes, your neck construction is exactly why I decided I liked Warmoth necks. It may not be like a relic reissue neck, but at least I know it won't give me long term trouble.