1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

will a Zon bass neck ever move?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by fretless Bob, Apr 26, 2006.

1. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    hey guys

i have been looking at getting a new bass for a while and have been looking at maybe gettinga zon sonus 519.

but i have a question, will a zon neck ever move because i am getting sick of adjusting trussrods?

Dave

2. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    Hey Dave... I can't really answer the "ever" question, but I've owned a Zon for at least 3 years and it hasn't moved yet. And I live in an area that's around high 20s in the winter and 105+ in the summer.

3. Fasoldt Basses

Fasoldt Basses

Mar 22, 2005
    Stevens Point, WI
    Karl Thompson, Builder (Formerly Fat Karl)
    Hey Bob,
    This is probably a better question for the basses forum, where you'll probably get more responses from experience. Here, you'll get a lot of data and proofs and arguments that there is no way to keep a neck from moving 100%.:) that is the way we bass builders are.;)

4. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

+1.

Carbon fibre has a non-zero coefficient of thermal expansion so the neck does move. Based on how highly Zon basses are regarded, especially for their necks, I would say that this movement is a non-issue and is probably small enough to be unnoticeable.

5. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    thanks alot guys

ill ask it again in the basses section, sorry to be a pain

Dave