1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

will a Zon bass neck ever move?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fretless Bob, Apr 26, 2006.

1. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    hey guys

i have been looking at getting a new bass for a while and have been looking at maybe gettinga zon sonus 519.

but i have a question, will a zon neck ever move because i am getting sick of adjusting trussrods?

Dave

2. what bass do you have now that requires you to constantly adjust your trustwad?

3. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    If it's got a defect it might. And it'll move a tiny, tiny bit when you change string gauges - probably not even enough to feel or require a trussrod tweak.

Really, any decently built neck, whether wood or composite, should not be moving around much at all. I live in Houston, SERIOUS heat and humidity; I've got two Modulus basses, a Dingwall, a Fender, and a Warmoth, and none of them require tweaking unless I change string gauges.

If you travel a lot from dry/cool regions to hot/humid regions a composite neck will be a whole lot more stable. But otherwise, people generally go for composite necked basses for their sound and feel. It's nice knowing that it's a stable neck, but there are plenty of wood necks that are just as stable in normal use, so I wouldn't go Zon or Modulus just to avoid fussing with a truss rod. I'd get one because they're outstanding basses overall.

4. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    Get the Zon. You won't regret it.

5. My experience with graphite/composite neck basses is pretty good, and in most cases, graphite/composite neck basses do not move, or move enough to notice a difference. In fact, most of my composites stay in tune for quite a long time without adjustment.

With nearly every wood neck bass that I've owned (and there's been a lot), I'd say that all of them move a few times a year simply based on climate changes no matter how well they were constructed. That's part of the reason there's a trussrod in wood necks, and not one with Zon's and early Modulus basses.

For me, the reason to try graphite/composite was exactly because of unwanted neck movement. If you store in climate controlled environments, and then play in any non-controlled environments, the neck is going to move, and if you're sensitive to your set-up, then this is a big issue. My first Modulus solved this issue.

After liking the functionality of the graphite/composite neck, I then found that tonally there is a difference, and I now really enjoy having one bass with a graphite neck for certain styles. In fact, I can't see myself not owning at least one Zon at any given time.

So, I guess this is a really long-winded way of saying that there is a difference in neck stability as well as overall tone, and either reason is good enough to own a graphite/composite bass IMO.

6. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I agree with AJ, get a Zon, you won't regret it.

That being said, some ZON necks have been known to need repair, but they are few and far between. The fact that they don't have a trussrod is kind of too bad, since people do have relief preferences, and if they do need adjustment..... off to the bay area they must go for a fix.

7. fretless Bob

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    i would say that i am very sensetive to my setup, and the temperature in my home is relatively stable but then i go to pubs and club gigs and my setup always moves a little which bugs me so the fact that a neck wont move is great but i am also quite in love with the tone of most of the zons i have heard.

I'm pretty sure i am about to get a new bass so just thought i'd check up on what was out there before i made my mind up.

anyone got any photos of any zons they would like to share?

thanks a lot guys.

Dave

8. +10^100000000

9. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    I've heard this before. What kind of repairs would a graphite neck need? I always figured that if graphite went bad, into the chipper it goes, and put on a new neck.

10. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    FYI.

As of 2006, all Zon composite necks now have trussrods. This dope is straight from Martin Peters @ Zon.

Riis

11. fretless Bob

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    another quick question, what is different about a sonus 519 from others like a custom or special sonus?

Dave

12. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    35" scale vs. 34" and 19mm spacing on the 5-string versus 17mm spacing. Also uses a different preamp. See here for more details... http://www.zonguitars.com/zonguitars/sonus519.html

13. fretless Bob

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    thanks man, i glanced at the page before but i couldnt really spot the difference.

Dave

14. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    kaycee, they could remove the frets, sand down the board, and put in the frets again. they could install your neck onto another bass. i dunno. my '94 zon has a rod.

15. Some do and some don't. What makes a neck suspect is the rod-to-resin ratio. Graphite necks are actually made of graphite rods held together with epoxy and phenolic resin. The more rods, the stiffer the neck. The more resin, the more apt to move the neck is. I've had good and bad myself, but if a neck is resin-rich, there's really nothing to be done with it but replace it. Hope that helps.
    Peace

16. fretless Bob

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    does that mean that they can be a bit hit or miss or is a bad neck very rare?

Dave

17. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1

I set the action when I got it and have never had to touch it again. That was TWO YEARS ago, and I live in IL, which is KNOWN for serious and irradical seasonal change!

18. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    It's also not a 24 fret neck... it's only 21 or 22. As a side note, I'm pretty sure 519 actually means 35" scale 19mm spacing.

19. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    With Zons at least it's very rare. They wouldn't still be in business pulling in the prices they have if it wasn't. Even with the slight chance of a bad neck, IME the chance for a bad wooden neck is far, far greater.

20. Basso Gruvitas

Basso Gruvitas Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX
    This happened to me on 2 (yes, 2 of them!) Zons. One of them was my absolute favorite bass. :bawl: It's not a matter of the neck warping or moving, but the fingerboard settles (remember, it's still wood), grately increasing the relief in the neck. If the fingerboard settles after warranty, it will cost around $500 to get a replacement neck (per Joe Zon).

He said that happens in about 3 basses per production year. Lucky me, it happened to 2 Zons I owned.:rollno: I won't buy a Zon anymore because of this. And I LOVE the 519's. I won't buy one though -- too much risk.