1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Will all fifteens fit into a cabinet designed for a 15 inch speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by icke2433, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Hey there guys! I've decided on purchasing 2 faital pro 15pr400 speakers for my sunn 2000s cabinet. But before I buy them I was curious, do all 15 inch speakers fit into a cabinet designed for a 15 inch driver? I would hate to have to pay a restocking fee

2. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    They won't suit all enclosures. Plus the bolt spacing varies a bit, ones with slotted holes have always gone in, and many old cabs have clamps. But acoustically, there is loads more that can go wrong.

3. Well I've looked around and the general consensus was to go with either these drivers or the e-140's but e-140's are nowhere near as easy to find as I had hoped and the few that have recommended the faitals have had great results. I just want to make sure it can fit in there

4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    It may fit, but how well do you expect just shoving a driver in a box is going to work?

5. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    I'll go out on a limb and say, it's gonna fit.
    it may require some modification. The cab
    may be too shallow.They are pretty standard
    though. I looked up your speaker choice and
    it seems to be the standard mounting
    dimensions,

Tabdog

6. Fit in the mounting hole? probably. Suit your cab? maybe, maybe not.

7. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    It has been my experience that when trying to retro fit JBL 15's, like the K and E series, they do not fit most modern cabs; they are a little too large in circumference to fit in the speaker hole. So if the cab was cut to fit a K or E, and you use the Faital, probably should find the spec from Faital as to what size mounting hole can be used. BTW, wher do you live ? I have a few E140's sitting around.

8. I live in Las Cruces, New Mexico. Let me know if you'd like to ship them! I've been looking for some and haven't had any luck

9. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I tried a K145 in a Polytone Minibrute. It was too deep for the cab.

10. MIMike

MIMike

Jan 1, 2013
    West MI
    I had an issue with a D-140 a few years back. The issue was loading from the front of the baffle board (frame was a little too large for the opening). There should be no problem if they load from the inside, or back of the baffle board.

11. JBL 2226's do not fit in some holes I've tried, frame was too large for the opening.

12. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    A jigsaw and a steady hand... problem solved. :bassist:

Port tuning... no idea. :cool:

13. SactoBass

SactoBass I like all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    icke: do yourself a favor and do a Google search on Thiele-Small parameters (and speaker cab design) and read up on it. You will find out why you can't just shove any old 15's in a box and expect it to perform well. The question of whether the Faitals will physically fit your cab is trivial. What is important are the TS parameters of the drivers and the tuning of your cab.

14. Correct, except the Sunn 2000s predates t/s and has a weird ass backwards homebrew horn arrangement which tolerates both ev and jbl which are quite different. He would have to be guineapig with the Faitals all the same. Hard to go past vintage jbl if you ask me, very sensitive speakers those e140.

15. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    These will work dandy;

http://wgs4.com/content/15-BG

They are also available in 16 ohm so you can parallel them for an 8 ohm cabinet, which can be useful when you are running a pair of cabs.

As much fun as playing with WinISD and becoming an instant "internet speaker expert" may be, T/S parameters are far more useful in sound reproduction than they are for sound production; as with MI cabs. ;)

16. SactoBass

SactoBass I like all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    Oooh......I like the way you think, good sir! :bassist: