Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

will all strap locks fit all basses?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by midnight, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Generic enough question. My newly aquired Guild is missing it's strap buttons. The screw holes don't appear to be stripped. Is it OK and order any ol' strap locking system off the internet and expect it fit OK? Any caveats?

Thanks, Richard

2. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    You should take some elmers and put it on a toothpick. Put the toothpick in the hole where the strap lock would be and break it off at the body. Let the glue dry for a while and then screw in the new strap lock. That way you won't have to worry about it slipping out and possibly damaging your bass. You probably could just screw in a new one, but you never know how long it'll hold up...

3. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    To answer the original question, yes any garden variety strap lock should work just fine.

Make sure the right screws come with the strap lock if you get from ebay.

Pkr2

4. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I got schallers for my skyline and the screws were not wide enough, but if there's a size issue you could probably just try different screws until one works.

5. Schallers have fairly small screws which can make them difficult to retro fit. I could not fit them to three basses i own with out gluing in additional bits of wood. Dunlops are slightly better for this, but be warned you often can not use different screws with any of these straplocks as they often have smaller diameter heads to the screws. I have a friend who had to have some screws machined down for him when he stripped the cross head of his dunlop straplocks so be careful.