1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Will an Aguilar TH-500 hold up against two hard rock half stacks?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Da Funky Fish, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Greetings-
    Can anyone advise if an Aguilar TH-500 will hold up against two hard rock / metal guitarists' half stacks?

2. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    You'll hear a lot of comments/suggestions. A personal friend of mine uses one in his metal band at the practice space.

PM me and I can relay the review he gave me to you. It's an awesome head.

3. Essen

Essen Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Norway
    That depends entirely on your cab(s). What do you have?

4. obimark

obimark Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2011
    It's real loud, and will easily hold up against one half stack, provided these gui****s aren't turned to 10 and use common sense.

Two would depend if you have enough speaker volume, min. 215s I would think or a 610.

5. Thanks for The replies - I'm in the cabinet market too haha. I was thinking of trying an Avatar 2x12, possibly 4ohm cabinet. Playing mostly small to medium venues in NYC/Tri State area so there are times where I'll just need a head for a back line.

6. I'd want more speakers if I was competing with multiple half stacks. YMMV

7. Two cabs will not be an option at this time - living in a 4th floor walk at the moment. Light head, light cabs, light everything.

8. obimark

obimark Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Let me know how you like the Avatar 212 if you get it, as I am considering making a 112 or 210 with them (neo) to complete my current 112 stack.

9. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    2x12 would be the minimum cabinet IMO
    The amp has the guts but even at a billion watts a single driver or 2x10 does not have a chance

10. If you do go with a small cab like a 212, get an 8 ohm cab. That way you can add a second one down the road.

Personally with the TH500 I would be pairing it with a super efficient, lightweight, 215. Would be crushing.

11. j.kernodle

j.kernodle Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    I think you should be ok. I've used a 4 ohm Aguilar gs212 for years with a loud two guitar band, the only variance had been the head powering it. I've used everything from a Mesa M6 to a GK mb200 (surprisingly loud little head) to a 1000 watt Demeter/crest combo to my current Mesa Bass 400+. if its too loud for that rig, it's just too loud period.

12. Can you recommend who makes some super efficient, lightweight, 215's?

13. The GS212 is something to consider for sure. I will compare specs to the Avatar.

14. husky123

husky123

Jul 6, 2006
    Leesburg, VA
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses and Bergantino Audio Systems
    Greenboy designed Dually. Your choice of Faital's or Eminence 3015's. Brutal cab.

15. Abrahampost

Abrahampost

Feb 22, 2013
    Boston
    I would go with the GS 212. I actually was rocking the th500 with that cab and it had more than enough headroom and volume to keep up with two loud guitar players. Right now I am using it with a Mesa M600 and it keeps up great... I think the Tone hammer was louder but had a bit too much boom for my liking.

16. sevdog

sevdog

Mar 2, 2008
    ATX
    Against 2 stacks I'd definitely want an 8x10 or a 4x12.

I've been in your exact situation, although it was 3rd floor. My 4x10 was a royal pain to get up and down so a 2x12 would be basically the same. My 4x12 was great, just tilt it back and slide. They aren't necessarily lighter than 8x10's but the dimensions make them feel like it. The Mesa Road Ready 4x12 comes with all of the desired rails and handles and is a beast of a cabinet. The Aguilar GS412 is also an awesome cab but if I were in your shoes the Road Ready Mesa would be my #1 choice.

17. Husky has it right.

The Dually 215 is an amazing cab. Light, more efficient than an 810, great power handling, big lows.

18. theretheyare

theretheyare

Sep 4, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing: Arkham Vacuum Tube Amplification
    I just ordered a TH500. Being on a 4th floor Brooklyn walkup myself, I know the dilemma. For louder stuff, I am working on a set of Avatar 1x12s, 8ohms each. i can bring one, or both to a gig, the TH500 would fit great either way. I also have a 2x10 ACME B-2 cab, which is really for clean and transparent. At 50lbs, it is bout the biggest and heaviest at 48 yrs of age I want to handle taking up and down the stairs.

19. j.kernodle

j.kernodle Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    a 212 is all things equal is generally lighter than a 410. I'd much rather carry a 60 lb cab up stairs than an 85 pound cab. tilt back wheels or not, moving my gs412 up and down stairs is NOT good times.

20. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    ^^ Maybe you need to hit the gym if a 412 is to difficult to lug up and down some sissy lilly stairs!