Will an ampeg pb 112 + wizzy powered by the clarus be loud enough?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, May 16, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I have a wizzy and a clarus 300. I have a chance to buy a ampeg pb112. I am salivating at how light this rig would be.

My clarus runs 2 ohms at 300w and both cabs are 4 ohms so i will get the full power from the clarus.

So will the ampeg pb 112 + wizzy powered by the clarus be loud enough for my 4 piece classic rock band in up to medium sized venues?
  2. I haven't tried those two specific cabs but, I use a Clarus + 2x Accugroove Tri 112L's which are 8 ohm cabs = 200 watts. My band is a very loud classic rock band and I am heard just fine. As you have the potential for another 100 watts than I am sure you will get along just fine.

ps the Clarus is the way to go, no more hauling around heads that weigh more than my cabs!
  3. I would go for a second whizzy. I like those built in wheels on the ampegs PB series too, but I don't think you are going to get the efficiency that the whizzy has. 2 whizzies vertically stacked would sound great. The weight difference b/t another whizzy and the PB cab would be negligable, I would think.There may be tone reasons too why you would want a second whizzy over teh PB cab.

This is just me, but I think the pb series are a little over priced, not very light nor very loud.

You should also check out flite sound cabs. The 115 cab weights like 23 lbs.

4. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada

Well, the pb 112 is 23LBS so yeah its light. I know they are not that loud but the wizzy is so maybe that makes up for it. I can get the pb 112 for about $150canadian used while i would have to buy the wizzy new for about $900can once its completey shipped and everything. I know the wizzy weight is only about 5lbs more... if i could afford a second wizzy i would do it.

i guess the question is with the "not so loudness" of the pb with the rest of the rig (wizzy + clarus) would it be loud enough.

Two 12s at 300w i think would be loud enough. Just wondering what other people have experienced.
  5. Well, I think you are getting shafted, pricewise, on the Whizzy if you are paying $900 CAD, but I could be wrong. They show up used sometiems here on TB. You should try Bass Northwest, since they are just a little down the road from you and see if they have a used one or demo.

That said, $150 CAD for that 'peg sounds like a steal in that you should be able to sell it for what you paid for it.

You should also contact TB member Mike Diminn too. He may be able to help you.
  6. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I guess the big question is would these two 12s powered by the clarus 300w be loud enough, with decent tone, at up to and including a medium sized venue?
  7. Bro, I would think it would sound plenty loud for medium. If each cab is rated 103db, then you are going to get combined efficeiency rating of 106db and develop all 300 watts. This will effectively double your output. If you need more in medium sized venue, you need to get guitars to turn down and jsut line out into the house of your PA. But there are a lot of variables. I just would not mess around with the Ampeg.
  8. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I know the pb 112 is a little quiet at 93db spl, but its light weight makes it very appealing. also, since i can get this used one cheap I think I am going to go for it. With the built in dolly it would very handy to just roll that sucker to the rehearsals along with my 5lb clarus. I dont drive so transportability is a huge issue for me.

So sorry, i meant to ask if the pb 112 + the wizzy powered by the Clarus 300w would be adequate for a medium sized gig. As stated before i just cant afford another wizzy. I would rather sell my wizzy and buy a schroeder 1212 if i was going to spend that much. I probably will do that in the future.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Really? PM sent.