Will an MB500 fit in an SKB roto rack?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xk49w, Dec 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. xk49w

xk49w

Apr 13, 2008
    I have a project that needs a 500 W class 1U bass amp. The SKB 1SKB-R3S has a front lid-to-front rail dimension of 1.2 inches. One candidate, (maybe the only) is the MB500 with a rack mount kit. Will the depth of the MB500’s “thoughtful handles” interfere with the attachment of the SKB’s front lid?

2. My Fusion 550 sits in one of those rack cases. Its beefy handles fit perfectly inside the lid. You'll be fine.

xk49w likes this.
  3. Kro

Kro

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    I use the same rack with my 1001RB. And while I'm fairly certain that the 1001's rack handles protrude farther than your MB's, I'm 100% certain yours will fit. FWIW I also used a racked GK MB2-500 (the predecessor to the MB500) for quite some time in a different case. Served me well.

Those SKBs are great rack cases, though I have two tips for them:

1. I disliked the ribbing on the inside of the handles for one handed carry. I get the sense that the expectation for these was to be used with two hands at all times. Even though the weight of your entire rack may be less than mine, I still strongly recommend wrapping the handles in tennis grip tape - greatly increases the carrying comfort.

IMG_20171121_224707248.jpg

2. The feet on the bottom are of the very thin hard rubber/plastic variety, but are easily swapped. You know what comes with great feet that fit? Your MB unit that'll need to have the feet taken off to be racked. I recommend swapping them in to prevent sympathetic vibrations from your cab whenever you hit the rack's resonant frequency. My GK feet completely stopped that from happening with my rack.

Enjoy your new rig!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    xk49w likes this.
  4. xk49w

xk49w

Apr 13, 2008
    Thanks heaps folks. On with the project.

5. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    I think that you will be fine, SKB Roto rack lids have a good depth designed to accommodate gear handles. The spec sheet lists rail to rail depth and front lid to rear lid depth.

Roto-Molded 3U Shallow Rack | SKB Music / ProAV

Subtract one from the other and divide by two to obtain the front lid to front rail distance.

If you don’t want the handles in the rack, I know that on at least some GK products, each handle is attached to the faceplate with a pair of phillips screws. They can be removed.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  6. Kro

Kro

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    That comment, while true, reminds me of this cautionary tale, a true story that actually involved my racked MB2-500:

I always have the same routine for breakdown with my rack. Front lid on, set rack face down to fold cables in back, rear lid on, and off the stage.

Once during a rushed breakdown (aren't they all?), I absentmindedly skipped the first step, and thinking the front lid was on, essentially "set" (more like slammed), the front of my amp down on the top of my cab. Thanks to those handles, it didn't move or even touch a knob.

Tiny little roll-cages are what those things are. Protect your amp from yourself; keep them on! ;)

beans-on-toast likes this.
  7. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    I would leave the handles in place unless the lid didn’t fit with them there. Things that you remove have a way of getting lost.

At the very least, having the handles makes it easier to load and unload the amp in the SKB case.