Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will an OBP-1 Fit in my Marcus sig?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Dan1099, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    I've been thinking about throwing a set or Nordstrand NJ4SEs, along with an Aguilar OBP-1 into my Marcus Miller Sig. What I want to know is, will the two 9v batteries fit in there without any more routing or anything? I would normally just open it up and check it out, but alas, I wont have a chance until Sunday or Monday. Anyone tried this, or know whether or not it would fit?

2. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    I would think it would go in easily even with the two batteries, with their big compartments and all.

Everytime I look at "their" it always looks like it's spelled wrong.

3. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    That always bothered me, too. Why cant we have a normal language?

Anyone else have any ideas (on the bass, that is)?

4. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Bump for the weekend crew...

5. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    anybody?

6. Chrisrm

Chrisrm Bass Virtuoso Wannabe

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
    While I don't have an MM sig, I am looking at an OBP-1. It's quite small. It's pretty much just a matter of being able to fit both batteries. You can already fit one battery, when you get a chance, just pop the control cover open and see if you can fit another battery and a 1" x 1" x 1/2" box for the pre. Hope this helps.

7. Mika

Mika Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    You should easily be able to fit an OBP-1 in the control cavity. It's about half the size of the stock EQ module.

8. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    I'm not really worried about the preamp itself, but, more so, finding somewhere to stick an extra battery, you know?

9. Mika

Mika Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    I'm not sure but I think you might be able to squeeze two batteries into the battery compartment. I recently did some mods to a friend's Miller sig, so I can't verify this at the moment.

10. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Nope. It'll only fit one. Checked it yesterday. Next step is to open up the control cover and see if i can find room in there....

11. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Just a thought, if I'm not mistaken, you can bypass the pre-amp on that bass, therefore leaving you with pure passive pickup operation, right? If so, have you considered getting the outboard version of the preamp (DB924) and running the bass in passive mode through the outboard pre? That way, no modification, you still have the original preamp, and you can use the DB924 on any other basses you have or may purchase over time.

12. Mika

Mika Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Excellent idea!