Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will Bass damage Marshall 6-string amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hammong, Apr 11, 2001.

1. hammong

hammong

Apr 11, 2001
    Sparks, Maryland
    I am new to the low-frequency world, and all I currently have for a practice amp is my Marshall VS65R. The dealer that sold me my first bass said it will eventually damage my amp because the 12" Goldback speaker isn't voiced for the low frequencies, and cone excursion may be a problem.

Is he torqing me up into buying a bass amp to practice with, or is my Marshall just fine? It sure SOUNDS fine when I play it, but then - I'm just getting started and don't know what to watch out for.

Any advice welcome! Bass is a standard cheapie Ibanez GSR 200 4-string.

Greg

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Sounds to me like you got an honest dealer that might even know what he's talking about. Imagine that.

3. BassDude24

BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    Yeah, I would go with the dealer, you can get really cheap practice amps, they aren't real wallet busters. Your not going to have a hole burnt in your pocket like you would if you were to go out there and by a new Ampeg big rig. If you had like a big Marshall 4x10" I would say go ahead at low volumes, but with a single 12" I would look into a practice amp for your bass.

4. Your dealer is absolutely right.

5. hammong

hammong

Apr 11, 2001
    Sparks, Maryland
    Thanks for the unrefutable responses! I'll hunt around and see if I can find a bass amp to work with. Who knows, maybe I can work a deal with my Marshall in trade with someone - the bass is certainly a lot more fun than my 6-string electric!

Greg