1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Will be looking for a older-style PJ body...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by BradRat, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Hello, all. I need to sell my Squier Precision Special and would like to know where I could find a PJ body for a replacement build hopefully early next year.

I'd like one with the J pup further from the bridge like the earlier ones. (Is this referred to as the 60s J position?)

Assistance is greatly appreciated.

2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Warmoth should be able to do this for you.

3. Wow. I have a brother named Todd Mullins. Cool.

I was hoping for something under 200. I love Warmoth's work, but a little too pricey right now...

4. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    What a strange coincidence.... :)

I think you'll be very, very lucky if you find exactly what you're looking for at the price you want. I wish you luck, but I think in this case, you might want to save a few more pennies while you keep an eye on eBay/CL...

5. Yeah, I'm checking those places everyday to see what's out there. I want to stain the body, so I'm limiting myself again by looking for painted ones that can be stripped if I end up buying used.

The neck is going to be just as difficult: Jazz neck with a 1 1/2" nut, rosewood fingerboard. I had an original Strings & Things Custom bass from the early 80s with what was actually an ESP Jazz neck and it played beautifully.

6. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    You want someone to carve a piece of wood into the shape that you want with custom specs for under $200?

Not it.

7. Thanks, Mike, but I was looking for a body ready for sanding, staining, and all that. B. Hefner has one with the pup locations where I want for just over $100. Looks like I'll be going there in the future.

I wanted to know if someone knew where I might find the pieces I'm looking for.

As far as any tips along the way during the build- should I post in this forum, or in "Basses?" Was hoping to get advice along the way without feeling like a jerk for asking in the wrong place.

8. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    You could find a P body and have someone rout the J pickup cavity for you.

9. Used SX SPJ-62 but I'm not sure if all necks fit those and you might end up loving the bass itself.

10. My brother has an SX Jazz and it is quite cool indeed, but I want to do some extra shaping on the body, so I believe I'll go with the Hefner body almost ready to go.

I plan on staining it with a mixture of walnut and red, bwb pickguard, Quarter Pound pups, chrome Gotoh 201 bridge- and then I'll get to the neck...