1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Will bow rosin damage electric bass strings?

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Hekbass, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Hekbass

Hekbass

May 21, 2005
    Zephyrhills, FL
    I don't know if this has been asked before. Will bow rosin damage my strings? Will it gunk them up?
    I normally wipe my strings down with an alcohol pad after playing...would that be good enough if I were to bow them with a rosined bow?

Also, I'd like to know if upright metal bass strings are roundwound and similar in texture to electric bass strings (i.e., you can see and feel the windings, etc.) It's been a long time since I've been near an acoustic bass.

Thanks.

2. No, it won't damage them, yes it will gunk them up, yes alcohol will get it off.

However, roundwound strings will damage the bow hair as it will get caught in the gaps between the windings; DB strings are flat wound to avoid that problem. You can see the windings, you can't really feel them much as the edges are very tight together.

Thomastic Jazz Flat BG strings are pretty much the same construction as DB Spirocore Weichs, only made in BG length and tension. They're flatwound, and have a pretty dull sound compared to most BG strings. Nice for fretless, though, because they don't squeak as you shift.

3. Hekbass

Hekbass

May 21, 2005
    Zephyrhills, FL
    Thank you kindly, sir.