1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Will Carvin produce an SB6000?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassman8416, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Bassman8416

Bassman8416 Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Anyone else interested? I certainly am. After seeing Ed Friedland's review on the SB5000 and playing a friend of mines, I am hoping Carvin will produce a 6-string model. I did contact them and asked if it was in the works, they wouldn't rule out the possibility, the SB4000's and SB5000's are selling really well. The person I spoke with said IF they receive enough requests for the 6-string, he is sure they will produce one in the "near"future.
    So Come on my bothers and sisters call, send emails....ask Carvin to produce an SB6000!!!!!

2. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I actually doubt it. Carvin doesn't want to destroy the sales of their deluxe builds, which are often 6 stings. I could be wrong, but I think they will make a market segment decision and stick to no more than 5 strings for the SB - else they would have rolled out the 6000 when the 4 & 5.

3. Bassman8416

Oct 18, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Say it isn't so Harry!

4. I seriously doubt it. The SB and B lines are Carvin's appeal to those who want a more vintage look and tone but with a bit of a modern edge to it. I have nothing against 6ers but I think that would kind of defeat the the purpose of their creation. I personally would love to see a B60.

5. Bassman8416

Oct 18, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Anyone else ever have this thought?

6. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Id love it.

7. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I'd love it too.

8. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

I love Carvins....I have 4 of them. But I just don't understand some of the things they do or don't do. I'd like to have a Icon bass with the neck profile and the preamp of the SBs....they said no. I want block inlays on a maple fingerboard...they said no. For me, the "no" list goes on with them. I just don't think they are in tune with today's bassist.

9. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Maybe they just aren't in tune with you? Those things you mentioned would take some major effort and retooling on their part, and if you are the only one asking they just aren't going to do it. They have to have a large potential market for something before they invest time and money in doing it.

10. I would totally be on board for a SB6000. I'm already drooling over the SB5000, but I would've definitely have to buy the 6 string version if they came out with it, hehe.

11. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I'm sure your thinking is correct. It was also Fender's thinking for quite some time now. But the mere fact of the popularity of the Steve Bailey 6er in spite of its rather high price point seems to give a hint that the time of "classic clone" 6ers is near. Another hint was the rapidity with which the recent SX 6 string Jazz clones sold out. Hey I've got TWO myself.

Just a look at one of the "how many strings does your bass have" polls here shows that 4 strings rule, 5 strings are second and 6 string have a rather limited market. BUT on the other hand there are more and more players looking for classic tone but with extended range. And also like me are looking for a classic look as well that will fly under the "blues nazi" radar and right past producers and engineers with Fender fetishes. My Fender deluxe V does that really well and I'm thinking that going to a 6 might not be pushing things too far...

But I'm sure classic 6 strings are never going to generate the sales that 4 bangers do. So I guess it's up to Carvin.

12. unlikely

13. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

Major retooling? C'mon...it's just a quick program change in the Fadal CNC.

Not in tune with me? Maybe...but it sure does seem that many around this TB forum like Jazz bass neck profile (which is close to what's on the SB) and block inlays on maple board (like on the same coveted Jazz basses?)

And finally...the SB's onboard preamp sound so much better than their standard that's in the LB, BB and Icon. I have 3 Carvin bass preamps that I ripped out....you wanna buy some? I've tried selling them...no takers. Why, because they don't sound very good. But since Carvin's not super expensive, I can live with replacing their electronics on a new bass.

Sorry about the thread Hi Jack.

14. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Despite them calling themselves a custom shop they are not. They are a mass producer of instruments. They offer more options than most, but they aren't truly custom. No mass producer is going to reprogram their CNC for one customer. It just isn't going to happen. The hole layout for the SB preamp is completely different than the one for their regular preamp. That would require reprogramming. Not going to happen.

Their business model just doesn't allow for truly custom instruments. You have to choose from the options they offer. You were asking for too much. Then blaming them because you were asking for something they aren't set up to give you.

15. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    GHS Strings, 64 Audio in-ears, Mayones Basses
    I'd definitely consider one, especially if it had 24 frets(or at least that option). The SB5000s are very nice basses and nothing comes close in the price range.

16. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    I have talked to some folks within the company and I'm afraid it's not in the offing. I believe they'll stop at the 5. No problem there, I have one and love it.

17. Bassman8416

Oct 18, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Well, I reckon if you talked to them Ray, I have to go with that, I will get the 5...thanks for your input ray...love your playing man.

18. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    For years, the thing I've loved most about Carvin bass guitars is that you can get high-end features - such as neck-through construction, a full 24 frets, and an ebony fretboard/fingerboard - at a very modest price. The last thing I would ever want to do is to buy a bolt-on, 22-fret instrument with, say a rosewood or maple board (not that there's anything wrong with that). I figured, you can buy something like that almost anywhere. :ninja:

Ever since the SBs were first released, I've been looking at the photos, thinking "it's a vintage thing - definitely not my style", wondering what all the fuss was about. But slowly and gradually, the SB5000 has been growing on me.

I finally crossed the line just a few days ago, and ordered one. And I think it's going to be superb - an ideal complement to the two Icon 5s I'll be getting soon.

But an SB6000? That just doesn't fit the whole "updated classic" concept. Therefore it would be tough to market. And Carvin is a conservative company. I should know: I've been a customer since 1977.

MM

19. A little off topic, but I just wish the'd offer a wide-spaced 6, be it a BB/LB/XB/SB, or B series... The BB76 *should* have been wide, in keeping with Bunny Brunel's wide spacing.

20. Mayers

Mayers Guest

Sep 28, 2007
    But Bunny doesn't play 6 strings basses. I would like a wide neck 6 strings but oh well ... other compagnies do it so.