1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Will D'Addario Tapewounds fit on a Höfner?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by V63, Jan 4, 2018.

1. V63

V63

Sep 13, 2008
    Alberta Canada
    Hello,

I've been experimenting with tape wounds on my German-Made Vintage 63 Hofner. I've been using La Bella's "Beatle Bass" tapewound set. I like the sound but would like to increase the tension a bit. I don't want to file my nut to fit Rotosound TruBass 88's. The D'Addario tapewound set has a slightly heavier A and E.

Has anyone tried D'Addario's Medium tapewounds on a Hofner? Do they fit? How do they differ in sound and tension/feel from the La Bella or Rotosound set?

Thanks!

D'Addario Black Nylon Tapewound Bass Strings Medium Scale Set - 4-String 50-105 ETB92M

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    They will be the appropriate length... it is a matter of if the string can fit in the tuning post...

3. V63

V63

Sep 13, 2008
    Alberta Canada
    Thanks for your reply,

I have used their "Chromes" medium set and they fit just fine. I found them much more even in sound to the Pyramids I was using (cheaper too). Whether the tapewounds with the extra 0.05 will fit my nut and tailpiece is what I'm trying to find out.

Regards,
    Clayton

4. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    D'Addario ECB81M chromes fit on my violin bass clone (Tanglewood TVB-3)

(Got them from Jason @SLaPiNFuNK - great guy to deal with!)