Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will delsy give me this effect.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by agyeman, May 26, 2001.

1. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    I want a pedal that will play repeat the note i play. Will a delay pedal do this.

A band want me to play some fast punk stuff, and i stuggle to keep up using my fingers, and i am useless with a pick. Could i set up a pedal so i can play at half speed, but the pedal makes it sound like i am playing double the amount of notes.

Thanks.

2. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    try a boss dd-5 om like set it up on one of the mode like i for get wich one and like pick it muted listen to when you need to pibk when there is no noise and just pick then in the same beat teachers you good time.

3. if you're playing different notes, then what you're describing won't help, as it will just play the same note twice.

however, if all you're doing is pounding out root notes real fast, then you need to do some rhythmic variation anyway because that gets real boring, for you and the listener.

either way, just practice. ask them to play the song more slowly at first, then gradually speed up. you'll get there.

4. how fast is this stuff????
    It's just a matter of technique...

5. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    A delay could do that, but I wouldn't do it. The notes would mix poorly when you changed notes. Not to mention the "repeated" note would sound hollow compared to the original, and the timings would have to be changed to match every songs tempo, it can't be rapid fire for a slower song even though it is punk and there's probably no slow songs it's just a precaution, and not ALL of the songs are going to be the same tempo.

My advice is like the others, practice till you can play as fast as you need to and not depend on a pedal to play for you. It may take awhile but it will help you as a player, and sound better which helps your band.

End Communication.

6. Likely practice is the best solution here as everyone has been saying. However, delays do offer some cool choices when you're playing your music. I remember fooling around with my brother's Boss DD-3 when I was playing the bass line to Pink Floyd's One of these Days. I'm convinced that Roger Waters definitely used a delay of some sort on most of Pink Floyd's songs. In cases like that the delay works great because the song pretty much involves just very enthusiastically picking at one string (I think Run Like Hell is similar).

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Commitment to becoming proficient on your instrument is the only true way to resolve for your technical limitations.

If compensating for technique shortcomings was as easy as buying a gadget, any nincompoop could be in a band.

8. ummmmm......any nincompoop CAN be in a band...BSB, NSYNCH, etc...

:rolleyes: state of the art, my man. state of the art. solve it with technology, not technique!

I agree. technique is the only acceptable way to solve this issue.

9. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    FYI it is a delay in One of These Days. I just saw the Pulse video and the bassist(not Waters) use a delay. Gillmore uses a delay a lot also. How much is a typical delay?

10. My brother bought his DD-3 used a while back for $100 (Cdn). I don't know if that was a good deal... Generally speaking delays are sort of expensive...the DD-5 was going for $149.99 (US) at Musician's Friend (this is an older price I'm referencing because they don't sent their catalogues to Canada anymore). I really like the Boss delay, it seems pretty neat and allows for a wide variety of settings...