Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will DR sunbeams fit on a 36" scale 6-string?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Deano Destructo, Apr 6, 2003.

1. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Just like the questions asks. I would hate to purchase a set and find out they won't fit on this monster. Thanx.:confused: ;)

2. Probably not, but I want to try the sun-beams and the nickle low riders. But I do like my Fender's

3. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Thanx Shaz, but I was looking for a more definite answer than that. I love myDr's on 34" scale.;)

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Coupla things:

1. If you ask DR, they'll prolly tell you.

2. I just measured the Lo-Riders on my 35" sixer and the winding length is about 37½". That leaves an inch or so for the bridge, and about 1½" past the nut. If Sunbeams are the same winding length, sounds like a solid maybe. :)

5. Deano Destructo

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Sure enough. I sent them an e-mail asking if a set of their sunbeams would fit a 6-string with a 36" scale and this is what they said. Thanx guys.

Hi Dean,

Yes, they should as all of our sets are wound out to 37 3/4".

Thanks for asking,

The DR Staff

6. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I have Hi-Beams on my 36 inch 5 string, no problem at all. They went to a longer winding length a while back, but even before that, the windings on all but the B string were long enough, and the windings on the B were almost long enough; there was one "step down" right at the nut, so I just kept the nut slot cut a little high for that string.