1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Will DR sunbeams fit on a 36" scale 6-string?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Deano Destructo, Apr 6, 2003.

1. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA.
    Just like the questions asks. I would hate to purchase a set and find out they won't fit on this monster. Thanx.:confused: ;)

2. Probably not, but I want to try the sun-beams and the nickle low riders. But I do like my Fender's

3. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA.
    Thanx Shaz, but I was looking for a more definite answer than that. I love myDr's on 34" scale.;)

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Coupla things:

1. If you ask DR, they'll prolly tell you.

2. I just measured the Lo-Riders on my 35" sixer and the winding length is about 37½". That leaves an inch or so for the bridge, and about 1½" past the nut. If Sunbeams are the same winding length, sounds like a solid maybe. :)

5. Deano Destructo

Dec 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA.
    Sure enough. I sent them an e-mail asking if a set of their sunbeams would fit a 6-string with a 36" scale and this is what they said. Thanx guys.

Hi Dean,

Yes, they should as all of our sets are wound out to 37 3/4".

Thanks for asking,

The DR Staff

6. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I have Hi-Beams on my 36 inch 5 string, no problem at all. They went to a longer winding length a while back, but even before that, the windings on all but the B string were long enough, and the windings on the B were almost long enough; there was one "step down" right at the nut, so I just kept the nut slot cut a little high for that string.