Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will entire CGI movies ever be viable in the drama and action genres?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jenderfazz, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Today, I began thinking about CGI and the fact that movie-long animations can be made and look really good. That's fine and all, and they're quite successful as can be seen with movies like Finding Nemo and such. However, will action movies or dramas eventually become fully CGI? Obviously this is unlikely, especially today, but is the idea even viable in the future?

A large part of dramas is human emotion and acting. A lot of stuff can be done with computer graphics, including special effects, but when humans are replaced it doesn't have the same impact. And action movies rely largely on computer generated effects nowadays, but I don't think replacing the main characters with graphics will ever take off. Even 50 or 100 years from now, if animation improves at the rate is currently is. The great part about such special effects is that they make real people seem to be in a real world with real explosions and the like. Comedies do very well in CGI, especially for children - it's a lot like cartoons, in a way. Looking at it that way, have any of you seen any dramatic cartoons? What if Terminator 2 was a cartoon? I'd say it's the same type of thing. You can make it very realistic and dead serious, and it'll still won't be taken seriously.

Mind you, anime is huge in Asia and is growing here. A lot of anime is serious, and yet it is essentially similar to CGI or cartoon because it is animated and voiced over. Still, it may be a cultural thing. North America and Europe will probably never watch dramatic CGI movies, and if they did, they probably wouldn't work as well as human-acted films. I don't think human actors will eventually become simple voice actors. Although animation can be 99.99% life-like, I don't think it can ever replace a good human actor. Any thoughts?

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I saw a movie a couple years ago... All CGI.

I do not recall what it was called, but the plot was:]

A totally urban planet... but the ghosts of former plant life still live on, and can cause choas... or something. I dunno.

But it was all CGI... and it was very convincing.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Action, definitely, most action movies today are primarily CGi when it comes to the fight stuff anyway, in a way, making the rest of it CGi just kinda cuts out the middle man.

I dunno about drama, ultimately, there will still be a human behind the voice, which will ultimately give the character humanistic qualities, but I dunno, I've seen dramatic CGi shorts, but I don't think the tech is quite there yet, to make it truly viable. That said, Antz and Finding nemo both had a fair share of drama, as did the toy story movies whether or not it was successful, is pretty subjective.

one thing to think about, has conventional animation succeeded with drama? if so, you can be sure CGi can too.

4. Was that Final Fantasy the movie? It was alright, as something different, but would something like Die Hard or the Exorcist really work? I think the reason FF the movie bombed so badly was partly due to the fact that it was geared towards fans of the series and was supposed to be like a cartoon or something.

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I think so.

Look at the CGI parts in the Star Wars movies. They're incredibly life like.

Lots of anime is just as dramatic if not more dramatic then what you see on screen and the good animators do a better jobs of drawing these emotions than most actors can pull off. I dont doubt that it'll happen.

6. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Well, it would certainly shake up the entertainment world. Pretty faces would no longer matter, and real voice acting talent would replace it. Kooky.

7. Drama yes, action no.

Have you guys seen the previews for the Final Fantasy VII sequel movie? All CGI, and so far the screenshots I've seen look great. I think it can be done.

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im curious to know why you say that.

Most of what makes action movies "action" is done in CGI already.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    wasn't Toy Story CGI? that was a cool movie....well done too.

:D

-Mike

10. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    If anything, I'd put it the other way around. As Nick pointed out, many action scenes are today more or less computer-generated. But with drama, the difficulty lies in imitating all the subtleties of human acting with a CGI model and making its expressions lifelike. Takes a buttload of polygons to do that. But while *good* human acting is pretty complex thing to digitalize (it's not hard to create *bad* acting in CGI), I don't want to say that it never could be done, not at all. I mean, just look at the difference between the characters in Half-Life and Half-Life 2 to see the progression here. Worlds of difference, and only 5 years inbetween.

In say, 20 years time, I think passable acting could be pulled off by CGI models and a good voice-over (passable meaning comparable to what a flesh-and-blood talent can do). The question is if it ever will be easier and/or cheaper than hiring a good actor and a camera man.

11. Full CGI looks good, and alot is convincing, but overall, regardless of the 3-d environs they're generated in, when brought to a film master, project "depth" and all fine, but oddly, the characters have no "weight"...do you know what I mean?

There's a tad more physicas to be done in relation to how matter reacts to impact and all...sure, you can make a robe flow, and hair flow, but something about the interactions with environs looks off.

And Yoda CGI in AOTC was just bad to me.