Will Epifani 3x10 cabs limit me too much?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fishnetshoes, Oct 25, 2003.

1. I'm thinking about buying two of them. One for small gigs/practice and two for larger gigs.

The 5.3 ohm impedance scares me a little, since basically these two cabs would be the end, wouldn't they? I mean you couldn't really add another cab without dropping below 2 ohms total. I guess you could add an 8 ohm into the mix but then it seems you'd have balance problems.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yeah i think you'd be stuck with the 2 cabs w/o going to a poweramp that can handle 2 ohms per side
    on the flipside, how loud do you play??????????
    i wouldnt mind being limited to two of those cabs
  3. No problem if you have a two channel amp (Eden WT800, WT600, SWR SM900, SM500, etc) you can run one cabinet per channel.

Or, if you are using a preamp / power amp setup, same deal. Just don't underpower them if you play loud, look at the Epifani site for recommended power ratings.
  4. Surely folks get tired of hearing it, but I've also got a thing for the E 310.
  5. marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    That's plenty of speaker area. Trust me, that would be a sweet rig.

The question is do you have the wattage?
  6. Do I have the wattage?

Probably not. I'm currently using an Ampeg B5R (500W @ 2ohms - 350W@ 4ohm)

I'd be looking to upgrade there as well. Suggestions are welcome.
  7. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    pre- and power amp setup. i'd give each cabinet at least 700 watts... preferrably more for added headroom... incredible cabs!

btw, are you sure that you really need two?!
  8. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    no problems with my 3x10UL.

just think of it as a 4 ohm cab, so thru one channel of your power amp, you're getting the most power possible from that channel.

if your Ampeg says it can handle 2 ohms, it can. if not, that's what the warranty is for. still, that doesnt seem like enough wattage to really get the most outta two cabs, especially if they're Epifani's.

ebay your B5R, pickup a nice QSC PLX, along with an ampeg preamp, and you'd be good to go.

and tho two 3x10's are mad punchie, having a 1x15 is waaaaaaaay nicer, IMHO. adds this thick low end booty that makes adding a second 3x10 sound almost "lacking".
  9. Ok, so if I wanted to use another cab (other than a 2nd 310) what do I do about the issue of input impedance?

Won't the different impedance of whatever (different cab) I add make one cab louder than the other?
  10. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

that's a good question. you're asking if you hook up a 4 ohm 3x10 to an 8 ohm 3x10, if the 4 ohm cab would be louder, no? trying to beat the resulting 2 ohm impedence, eh?

well, to answer your other question, if you daisy chain, say a 1x15, then yea, you might have a volume problem due to their differing speaker efficiences, not necessarily having to do with impedence.

but, with a two channel power amp, where you can run the cabs parallel, you can avoid this problem, by merely adjusting how much volume each cab gets.
  11. >you're asking if you hook up a 4 ohm 3x10 to an 8 ohm 3x10, if the 4 ohm cab would be louder, no? trying to beat the resulting 2 ohm impedence, eh?

No, I don't have a problem with 2 ohms. I think using two differently (ohm) rated cabs is a problem unless you run from two different amps as you suggest. I think the problems are mainly related to the ratings being mismatched, but other things may come into play as well.

My original idea was to simply use these cabs with a high output bass amp such as a sunn 1200s or an Ampeg SVT4 Pro. Thus, I wanted to know if I was limiting myself. As one reply stated, the 2 310's may be super-punchy.

If I'm going to buy a pre-amp/power-amp set-up, I probably would broaden my choices of cabs considerably.
  12. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Reality check! Your amp puts out 500W at 2 ohms? 500W through 6 10's is LOUD! I've done a million gigs with 400w through 6x10's and was always loud enough, with room to go louder...... and that's with cabs that have lower efficiency ratings that the Epi's.

I say try it first, than decide if the amp needs upgrading. I don't think it will.
  13. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    well, with the epi's, they will really open up and have a sound like no other if you can hit them with more clean power than 400-500 watts IMHO. especially if you play in a setting that will require two of them. if you clip that amp hard enough, those epi's aren't going to like you very much... and despite their high efficiency, i think nick put the recommended wattages up to show that these will do better with slightly higher wattage. personally, i would look into a single 310 with your current amp. if that is not enough, i would upgrade the amp first and see if that's enough... because 350 (clean) watts through a 310 is good for practice but it won't cover a drummer in a gig. with more wattage, you can always turn down for practice and be safe... but during loud stage-volume gigs, you can't always safely turn up. if it is not loud enough in the end, then look into adding another cab. ;)